Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Advocate Reviews

Old 03-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
EricK The Red
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Advocate Reviews

Sometimes crack me up! I love the BMC bashing in the review section...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/1320

Primary 1: Cheesefood's Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale
Primary 2: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Montrachet
Primary 3: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Nottingham
Secondary: IPA
Kegged & Conditioning: Northern Brewer ESB
On tap: I.P.A. (BB Kit)
Bottled & aging: American Nut Brown Ale

On deck: Fat Tyre Clone, Irish Red & More IPA!

"Beer is a vegetable"

Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, because BMC bashing never gets old

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I know their an easy target, but when you can make something way better in your garage, than a huge corporation, they should be bashed. If we could do the same with computers and cars, where would the Japanese be?

Disclaimer: I've been drinking a freshly tapped pale ale, so im not responsible for abrasive comment's

Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450
If we could do the same with computers and cars, where would the Japanese be?
I field this one; they'd be in Japan obviously.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I field this one; they'd be in Japan obviously.
Touche! (stupid 10 char)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
But you're allowed to repeatedly bash Rolling Rock? (as per my post the other day).

Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
But you're allowed to repeatedly bash Rolling Rock? (as per my post the other day).
I'm not wholesale bashing an entire generalized style of beer, I'm offering my critical opinion on one particular brand. There's a rather large difference between criticizing (repeatedly ) the horrible skunkiness in Rolling Rock, and the almost hourly self-congratulatory dismissal of anything made by Bud, Miller, Coors and the like that has seemed to take the beer snob world by storm. Don't get me wrong---if I were to do an honest critique of each of their beers, I'd not have a great many nice things to say---but it seems to me that it's just "the cool thing to do" anymore---bashing American Light Lager, wholesale, without exception, for the sake of expressing your disagreement with mainstream America, and thus, your supposed uniqueness and beersnobbishness. They're the whipping boy, like White Zin in the wine world.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While this craft HAS led me to bash BMC quite a bit...I agree that it is sometimes taken to extremes.

This past weekend, I was at the Langerado music festival in the sunny Everglades of southern FLA. We were not supposed to have any glass on the grounds, and in the name of safety-we complied. The result was massive amounts of BMC in cans..that's what we were relegated to. Inside the concert grounds, we were not allowed to bring beer-but we were able to keister about a 12 pack on every trip in there. Inside they had a few Leinie's, and Pilsener Urquell on tap for $6 a beer.

Say what you will, but I was not about to pay that kind of money instead, we drank BMC all weekend and it really wasn't that bad. It is still beer after all.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with Evan!

No disrespect to the OP, some of the BA reviews are good reading. But I do tire of the knee-jerk BMC bashing bandwagon jumping.

You may not like their beer, but they are all that's standing between you and the growing hoardes of neo-prohibitionists.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #119 American Brown, #120 American Pale
Planned: IPA, Wheat

Old 03-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Personally I just dont get the Beer Rating thing but, hey that's just me. I mean if I really got my rocks off rating beer I'd certify myself as a judge and rate to my hearts content.

Ratebeerians take this to a whole nuther' level and it tends to be more of a statistics race than anything else.

As for Macro. While I will generally choose another brand that is more micro, I can still appreciate Macro. Especially, on hot summer days of yard work and the beer is really cold. Another instance I tend to choose Macro is when eating Asiatic cuisine. Usually I'll have a Macro, preferably asian branded, and Sake and I find they complement the meal.

The only thing worse than Macro bashing is bashing personal preference. That is just juvenile.