InkBird temperature controller stuck on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was walking by my fermentation chamber yesterday and noticed that it was running and the ambient temperature in the chamber was around 25° even though the controller was set to 40°. I thought that was strange so I turn the power to the controller off, which typically shuts the fridge off but this time it kept running. So then I unplugged the fridge and left it unplugged for a while thinking that maybe it just needed to reset. When I plugged the fridge back in it automatically kicked back on again even though it should not have because I had changed the temperature to 70°. I haven't taken it apart yet to inspect the wiring yet, to see if maybe something shorted out. But I was curious to see if any of you that use the InkBird version of the STC 1000 temperature controller have experienced anything like this before.

Thanks,

David

Do you have something on the heat and cold element or just cold? the first time I tried hooking mine up I only had the fridge on the cold side and something similar to this happened to me it would turn on and not shut off. I got a heat wrap as the heating element plugged that in...and the problem stopped.

Something very simliar to this that wraps around the carboy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111712751409?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

It sounds like the relay is stuck in the closed position. I had a similar thing happen with my BrewPi setup and running the little relay boards that have two mechanical relays on them. They are rated at 10A and I was probably pushing that limit. Mine stuck after running about two months. I was able to tap/smack the relay to get it unstuck, but then didn't trust it after that.

I have since moved on to using an SSR for the compressor.

Since they're not that expensive I may just order another one to replace it. It would be less convenient to use something different at this point since I modified the refrigerator so that I could mount the controller inside it. Thinking about it now I suppose it being inside the fridge with the temperature fluctuating and humidity, maybe that could be a contributing factor to it failing.

David

Since they're not that expensive I may just order another one to replace it. It would be less convenient to use something different at this point since I modified the refrigerator so that I could mount the controller inside it. Thinking about it now I suppose it being inside the fridge with the temperature fluctuating and humidity, maybe that could be a contributing factor to it failing.

David

Interesting comment about the possible effect of dampness and fluctuating temps on the relay contacts. I had not considered that when I mounted an Inkbird directly on the collar of a keezer, like many do. It is somewhat protected by insulation but nevertheless not an ideal environment.

Interesting comment about the possible effect of dampness and fluctuating temps on the relay contacts. I had not considered that when I mounted an Inkbird directly on the collar of a keezer, like many do. It is somewhat protected by insulation but nevertheless not an ideal environment.

Mine is located right beside the evaporator coil inside the fridge. It's a beverage fridge with the evaporator coil and fan located at the top of the fridge inside. The controller is mounted to the same housing inside the fridge. When I replace it, I might try to insulate it.

When you used it, it couldn't work firstly? Or it ran for sometime and then stopped?

If it never worked what you needed, pls pm us and give us your wired draft. BTW, the cooling device is with delay function, you need to pay more attention to it.

Reviving an old thread, maybe inkbird will chime in. I had the exact same problem only I'm running an ITC-2000 on a keezer. One day the alarm went off, checked on it and it was well below the set point. I unplugged it, grabbed the multimeter and everything seemed to be fine. Plugged it back in and all was well for a few days until it did it again, this time my multimeter confirmed the relay was closed when it was below the set temp (cooling light was not on). I got it working again and ordered an ITC-1000F. The original ITC-2000 decided to work correctly for a couple months until last night when the alarm went off again. I wired up the ITC-1000F, verified functionality, and let it do its thing. Went to check on it before bed and it was at 2F (set point is 44F). Multimeter again confirmed the relay had stuck. Sat there and played with it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm super disappointed because I really like the size and look of the inkbird mounted in the keezer but can't risk my beer on a bad relay. The ITC-1000F doesn't have an alarm so there was no warning that it had malfunctioned, at least the ITC-2000 woke me up and saved my beer. I'll change the ITC-1000F for an ITC-2000 so I get an alarm and maybe wire in another relay that will cut all power if the alarm goes off (ITC-2000 has a connection for an external alarm). I'll need something with a manual reset though otherwise it'll just turn itself back on.

Had the same problem. What's everyone doing to fix it? I've got mine in a shed which is semi open to the elements like humidity but I didn't expect that to gum up the switch. It's anyone else using a different controller or just replacing and going from there?

I just replaced mine since it was more convenient and the risk is minimal. I have a Johnson control on my keezer and have never had an issue in 10 years.

It sounds like the relay is stuck in the closed position. I had a similar thing happen with my BrewPi setup and running the little relay boards that have two mechanical relays on them. They are rated at 10A and I was probably pushing that limit. Mine stuck after running about two months. I was able to tap/smack the relay to get it unstuck, but then didn't trust it after that.

I have since moved on to using an SSR for the compressor.

I read every word on this thread since I had the same problem
AND I smacked the relay... It worked! Thanks laredo7
I think I will still purchase the little $2 replacement relays but this will buy me some time as they ship over from China. FYI, a few screws hold the back of the controller together. Remove them, then is easy access to the back of the circuit board for a quick solder repair.
IMG_6398 (2).jpg

I'm having a similar issue but I just got mine. I have a mini fridge and the inkbird is all over the place. I want it set to 67f but it's going up and down from 62 to 70. I put the mini fridge to the coldest setting and the warmest with no resolution.

I replaced mine almost 4 years ago and it’s been working fine ever since. I also don’t leave it on all the time either now but rather just turn it on when I am fermenting something. It’s been running for the last 5 months though actually because we had a fridge die there is still stuff in it :).

I would check your temperature Difference Set Value and make sure the variance is small like 1 degree and also check the temperature calibration with a glass of ice water and adjust the calibration is it’s off. If that doesn’t fix then maybe replace it.

I know this is a bit of an older thread but I just found the same issue this morning with my keezer. Walked downstairs this morning to find the display at -10C and the compressor still running! Turned the controller power off and the compressor still ran. It's been running great for about a year and a half so I'm thinking its the same stuck relay issue. Going to give it a smack and in the meantime I ordered a new one in case. Would a stuck relay be related to the number of cycles? Wondering if increasing the temp differential would allow for a bit more longevity.

Latest posts

Back