Tart ag brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidmanoo7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently made 3 batches of ag brews every batch has a harsh tartness to them I followed the recipe instructions mashed at temps It says to do I do not sparge because I got a biab for my 10 gallon igloo cooler I sanitize everything well all I can think is 2 inch probe giving false temps....I'm puzzled please help me!!!

I wonder if it may be a problem with tannins. You should check the pH of your mash and make sure it's between 5.2-5.6. Any higher than that and it could give you problems, one of them being extra tannin extraction which comes across to me as an astringent "tartness" or a puckering dryness.

Number one. Check that thermometer. Also that thermometer is measuring a very small selection of the mash, outside the grains, if it is bulkhead mounted.

2) Fermentation temperature control is one of the best places to concentrate to improve your beers.

3) Water. Good water is essential.

I wouldn't worry too much about tannins. It is very difficult to reach the right combination of temperature and pH that will extract tannins in the homebrewing setting

I wonder if it may be a problem with tannins. You should check the pH of your mash and make sure it's between 5.2-5.6. Any higher than that and it could give you problems, one of them being extra tannin extraction which comes across to me as an astringent "tartness" or a puckering dryness.

I'd look here. Especially if you're doing full volume mashes you're at risk for high mash pH. What water are you using and are you following pH at all?

My first several AG brews had what I described as a tartness. I made a thread about it here. Turned out to be my water - the tap water I was brewing with had high alkalinity so my mash wasn't dropping to the correct pH range. This becomes even more of a problem with BIAB since the mash is diluted, and with lighter colored beers since the lightly kilned malt won't bring the pH down as much.

I don't have a pH meter so I haven't absolutely confirmed that the pH was my problem, but once I started using RO water adjusted with minerals and acids to reach a target pH using Brewers Friend water calculator, my problems went away.

And also it's been bout a month after bottling and I kegged my stout will distilled water be better than the tap!?

Using distilled water would be a good way to isolate if your tap water is the problem. You will still have to adjust the distilled water with minerals and acid to make it suitable for brewing. Check this out as a starting place, then use a calculator like Brewers Friend advanced water chemistry calculator or Brun Water to further see how mineral and acid adjustments will affect your brewing water.

How do you find out the chemistry of distilled water?

0ppm across the board, should have a pH around neutral (7). The actual pH is not so important as it's ability to change (aka buffering capacity, of which distilled water has none).

Ok thanks 5.2 work ok in distilled water

No. Use brewing salts and food grade acids (all of which are available at your homebrew store) to adjust your mash pH/desired mineral profile.

Brewing salts include calcium chloride, gypsum, epsom salt, non-iodized table salt (sodium chloride), and others. Sources of acid include lactic acid, phosphoric acid, acidulated malt, again all available at homebrew stores.

Take a look at the water primer here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460 as a starting point.

I recently had a similar issue. About 2-3 brews in a row. I eliminated the issue by replacing my older plastic fermentation pales, my siphon, replacing all of the O-rings in my kegs , and all of my liquid tubing. I've brewed a lot in my first two years, at least twice a month. Even with my OCD cleaning, I had picked something up.

I had the same issue it was due to the ball valve on my kettle. I took it apart and it had some crud built up in it. It's worth taking it apart if you don't already do that to take a look and deep clean it.

I had this flavour on my last batch. Mashing outside and it got a bit cold so I put the flame on. Then the jehovahs witnesses turned up and that took 10 mins, enough for the mash to hit 80c after only 30 mins mashing.

First samples were mouth puckering bad but at bottling time it had improved a lot.

I would check the thermometer.

I had this flavour on my last batch. Mashing outside and it got a bit cold so I put the flame on. Then the jehovahs witnesses turned up and that took 10 mins, enough for the mash to hit 80c after only 30 mins mashing.

First samples were mouth puckering bad but at bottling time it had improved a lot.

I would check the thermometer.

Only 10 minutes?

Back