Need Help Wiring A/C Unit for Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopBrew

Reaction score
I have a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner apart and I need some help in figuring out the wiring. I uploaded the diagram and I'm thinking that I would use the existing power cord to connect to a plug-in controller.

I figure I need to keep the WH wire connected to the CAPACITOR. I would then disconnect the BR wire from the RY-COM switch and connect it to the BK wire from the power cord. I would also connect the BK wire that runs to the MOTOR to the BK power cord.

I would disconnect the BL & RD wires from the MOTOR (I would only run the fan on HI) and the OR wire from the CAPACITOR to the SYNC MOTOR. That effectively removes the electronic circuit board. All other connections would stay as in the diagram--OR and YL wires from the CAPACITOR to the MOTOR would stay as depicted.

I'm not an electrician, so I would appreciate someone with skill to give me their opinion. Thanks in advance

View attachment Wiring Diagram.pdf

I rewired mine so that both compressor and fan came on when plugged in. Then controlled mains to the plug via relay from temperature controller. Just looking back at my sketches, I had 2 capacitors, one for each fan and compressor. I ran my BR (BK for you) to both capacitors and to the R post on both the fan and compressor. I ran my BL (WH for you) to the C post on both the fan and compressor. Then the start post on compressor and fan went to their respective capacitors.

I'm not an electrician either, but what you describe sounds correct.

You'll just need to jump the RY-COMP relay (connect pin 3 and 4 with a heavy gauge wire to bypass the relay). In fact if that relay has a feed wire going to it into Pin 3, move it over to pin 4 and you won't need to jump the relay, this way it also kills off the power to the blower motor as well, you're not concerned with the blower motor since you won't need that (the blower motor just forces air through the evaporater coils to chill the air) , you'll be submerging the coils into the Glycol mixture. You could disconnect and remove the blower motor from the A/C unit. You only need the compressor, the cooling fan for the compressor and the coils.

This way you're A/C will be on constantly when it's plugged in, allowing you to control it with an external temperature controller like an Inkbird. My inkbird has a "delayed start" option for the compressor. Basically it prevent the controller from turning the A/C on too soon after it just shut it down which can cause damage to the compressor. The delay is usually about 3 min, turn that on if you'rs has it as well. Just make sure the cooling fan turns on and remains on at all times when the A/C gets turned on.

Thanks to those who replied. I have it wired and it works and it's ready to connect to the controller. I have an Inkbird on order.

Back