Very first time ;)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboEtZ207

Reaction score
Hello!

I have read some books and forums and i know some basic stuff.
I need some help for my first brewing.

My list and plan is like this:

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1,7 kg LME
Chateau Pale Ale 8 EBC 1 kg
Chateau Munich 25 EBC 1 kg
DME 1 kg
Cascade 2015 6,8 % hops
Safale US-05

First boil Chateau Pale Ale 8 EBC 1 kg and Chateau Munich 25 EBC 1 kg about 60 minutes and 15 minutes before end add LME % DME and Hops.
Before adding remove Chateau Pale Ale 8 EBC, Chateau Munich 25 EBC

Then i will cool the mix and add water. I wil have 21 L and when its cooled about 25-27 C i will add yeast. Then for 2 weeks fermentation and after that botteling. I will add 150g tabel sugar for 21 L for carbonation before botteling.

Will my plan work or i will make something very wrong?
Thank you for helping :)

Not really familiar with these ingredients but what Jerbrew is saying is correct...do not boil your grains.

You want to Mash your grain. Mashing temps vary from 135-155...ish depending on style and what type of body you are trying to achieve. Once you complete that you will then do a process call sparging...and then now you have wort you can bring it up to a boil and add your hops at their respective times.

(super brief and simplified explanation) if you have specific questions please ask.

It also might look like you have a kit that has LME which you might add some water too...and just steep your grains in a mesh bag. If thats the case...again don't boil your grain just let it steep and the temps I provided above...then after removing the steeped bagged (about an hour) bring your wort to a boil and add your hops at the appropriate times.

It also might look like you have a kit that has LME which you might add some water too...and just steep your grains in a mesh bag. If thats the case...again don't boil your grain just let it steep and the temps I provided above...then after removing the steeped bagged (about an hour) bring your wort to a boil and add your hops at the appropriate times.

Yes that is what i ment. This is all new to me and now i get very good infomatsion and help.
Thank you and i will come back if i need some more help !

:)

Yes that is what i ment. This is all new to me and now i get very good infomatsion and help.
Thank you and i will come back if i need some more help ! :)
Turbo,
All the advice so far is spot-on...the only question I didn't see asked, and you didn't say in your OP, is the grain milled or whole? I guess we're assuming you have a kit, in which case, the specialty grains should be milled, but if not, you will have to make sure to do that before brewing. Good luck and welcome to the obsession!
:mug:

Turbo,
All the advice so far is spot-on...the only question I didn't see asked, and you didn't say in your OP, is the grain milled or whole? I guess we're assuming you have a kit, in which case, the specialty grains should be milled, but if not, you will have to make sure to do that before brewing. Good luck and welcome to the obsession!
:mug:

Yes grains are milled and it is not a kit. It is my on idea and i want to make first beer little bit better than just a LME and water and sugar.

I find out that "Remember that some malts (munich, wheats, flaked and terrified malts) require mashing, and can’t be steeped."

It means i have to change my grains.

My advice about DME is to not add that to boiling water. The steam coming off your pot makes it clump onto the bag and then you have big clumps in the boil you're going to be trying to break apart, it's a mess and frustrating. What type of beer are you going for? seems like you're going for a pale ale.

what quantity of hops do you have? you probably do not need to do a full 60 minute boil. Depending on the style you want you could probably steep your grains for an hour, mix in the DME/LME, bring to boil, and add hops accordingly.

I also wouldn't add all your hops in at one time. Something that may work for you is a bittering addition at 45/30 (depending on hop quantity and bitterness you want) then some at 15/10 and the rest at flame out.

I find out that "Remember that some malts (munich, wheats, flaked and terrified malts) require mashing, and can’t be steeped."

It means i have to change my grains.

you're doing whats called a partial mash. Essentially put your grains in a mesh bag bring them to the 150F's and hold around 152-154 for an hour in your brew kettle. remove bag and let them drain feel free to even rinse them a bit with warm water (168-170F is a good temp to shoot for) then proceed as usual. your efficiency may be poor but this is your first time and you'll improve. honestly, doing it the first time is when you learn the most.

My advice about DME is to not add that to boiling water. The steam coming off your pot makes it clump onto the bag and then you have big clumps in the boil you're going to be trying to break apart, it's a mess and frustrating. What type of beer are you going for? seems like you're going for a pale ale.

what quantity of hops do you have? you probably do not need to do a full 60 minute boil. Depending on the style you want you could probably steep your grains for an hour, mix in the DME/LME, bring to boil, and add hops accordingly.

I also wouldn't add all your hops in at one time. Something that may work for you is a bittering addition at 45/30 (depending on hop quantity and bitterness you want) then some at 15/10 and the rest at flame out.

Yes i was hopping to do Pale Ale.
I have hop pellets 100g grams.
I should steep grains 60 minutes and add hops in 45 minute whit LME?
DME i should mix in fermentation bucket.
Did i miss something or i am right road ?

Tnx you all

Yes i was hopping to do Pale Ale.
I have hop pellets 100g grams.
I should steep grains 60 minutes and add hops in 45 minute whit LME?
DME i should mix in fermentation bucket.
Did i miss something or i am right road ?

Tnx you all

1) steep for 60
2) add in LME and DME
3) bring to boil
4) add 50g hops
5) boil for 30 minutes and add 25g hops
6) boil for 15 more minutes, turn off flame, add remaining hops
7) cool down you wort to pitching temperature
8) pitch yeast and allow them to ferment at desired temperature

1) steep for 60
2) add in LME and DME
3) bring to boil
4) add 50g hops
5) boil for 30 minutes and add 25g hops
6) boil for 15 more minutes, turn off flame, add remaining hops
7) cool down you wort to pitching temperature
8) pitch yeast and allow them to ferment at desired temperature

That was very helpfull thank you.
I am noob and i have stupid questions.
:)

Well, that's kind of up to what your equipment is like. how big is your kettle? you may have to do a partial boil and use top off water to get your final volume.

Also, boil gravity of your wort impacts the utilization of your hops. So, if your doing a partial boil I would hold the LME until 15 minutes left in the boil. so add at the same time as your first 25g hop addition. There are charts and calculation that can be used to determine more specifically, and correctly, hop additions to account for the different boil gravity. But this is your first brew so you can keep it simple.

Well, that's kind of up to what your equipment is like. how big is your kettle? you may have to do a partial boil and use top off water to get your final volume.

Also, boil gravity of your wort impacts the utilization of your hops. So, if your doing a partial boil I would hold the LME until 15 minutes left in the boil. so add at the same time as your first 25g hop addition. There are charts and calculation that can be used to determine more specifically, and correctly, hop additions to account for the different boil gravity. But this is your first brew so you can keep it simple.

Finally i need 23 L beer in my fermentation bucket.
I think i would have 8-10L boiling bot.
5 L for boiling and later add boiled and chilled water to get 23 L on beer.
I hope that will work. :)

Thats's a pretty small pot. If you have a 10L pot and perhaps another decent sized pot say 5 L this is what I would do:

1) Steep/Mash your grains as described earlier in 6 L of water
2) drain grains into pot and rinse with 1 L of water
3) add your DME
4) bring to boil (you'll have to be careful here. Even though you have 30% volume left in your pot you could get a mean boil over which is messy)
5) make sure you watch the pot as it gets to a boil. You'll see it rapidly start foaming. you have to stir vigorously and maybe spray it with a water bottle on mist.
6) once its at a rolling boiling proceed with the aforementioned hop schedule. the steeping grains at

In the mean time if you have another pot add LME and as much water as you can to fill the pot up about 2/3 of the way. bring LME to boil watching again for the rapid foaming. boil for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.

add the boiled LME (after being allowed to cool a bit), the wort from you large pot (remember to remove the hops, and after its been given a bit to cool), and top off water to your fermenter. that much top off water should get you close to pitching temp. When your at pitching temp add yeast and le them do their work.

Good luck. If/when you plan on doing this again, I would suggest a smaller batch or a bigger pot.

I got myself a 16L stainless steel boiling pot.
Now i can do all the protsess in one pot ?

Back