Do I need more yest in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astacey1403

Reaction score
Hey every one I have been brewing a chocolate cherry stout for the past 3 weeks. Last weekend I transferred to secondary, after 2 weeks of primary, and added 36 oz of 100% natural black cherry juice along with 2 hole bourbon vinnela beans. When I transferred I pulled up some of the trub, not much, in hopes that it would contain some yeast ready for the addition of the cherry juice. Within 24 to 36 hours I started to see some activity coming from the airlock not as much as primary but I was not expecting much. A friend thinks that it was not enough and I need to add more yeast for the added sugar from the cherry juice. Was wondering if any one has some insight on this if I need to add some more yeast it's not a problem but would be nice not having to add for no reason

Thanks every one love posting on this site!

Last edited:
No airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean no fermentation. What you can do is take a SG reading before putting it in, after putting it in, then after a few days. That would really tell you whats going on. But what yeast did you use, and what SG and FG did you come to before putting in fruit

I wouldn't worry about it, there are enough yeast to ferment out the added sugar. The beauty of yeast is that if there aren't enough of them, they will reproduce until there is. Yeast are alive, they'll take care of that sugar for you. You can cold crash a beer until it is perfectly clear, then add priming sugar and bottle and the yeast will carbonate the beer just fine in that situation.

Your beer will be fine.

Unless you cold crashed your fermenter before transfer, there should be plenty of yeast still in suspension. The *only* times I add additional yeast/bacteria post fermentation is for sours that are being aged for a year or more and to bottling those same beers for carbonation.

Unless you cold crashed your fermenter before transfer, there should be plenty of yeast still in suspension. The *only* times I add additional yeast/bacteria post fermentation is for sours that are being aged for a year or more and to bottling those same beers for carbonation.

Even if he/she cold crashed and hit it with a fining agent, there'd still be plenty of yeast left to fully ferment the new sugars.

Thanks every one for responding so soon. Thought I posted yesterday but I guess It did not go through. jamaral141989 I used 2 packs of Safale S-04. My OG was 2.00 uncorrected and FG after primary was 1.020 uncorrected. I did not get a gravity reading after I added the cherry juice, wish I would have. I figured there would be plenty of yeast just wanted to make sure.

Thanks every one

Back