Texas Brew Pubs near Downtown Austin, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
This doesn't feel like the right place to post this, but I think that this is the right audience to answer this question.

In a week I will be going to Austin TX for business. I am going to be downtown near the convention center. I'd really like to find some good brew pubs to eat (and drink!) at, but have't been able to really find any within walking distance. I'd even be up for taking an Uber or the like as long as it isn't too far.

Any suggestions?

Uncle Billy's is the closest. Next up you'll have Austin Beer Garden Brewing which is a bit further south. If you're into IPAs, either location of Pinthouse pizza is worth visiting. They're putting out the best in Texas right now.

If you're okay with breweries with food trucks, Hops & Grains makes solid beer on the east side, Zilker brewing has a cool new tap room and sometimes have a food truck (also east). Draughthouse is a microbrewery/beer bar which will usually have a truck out front too. They've been an Austin beer staple forever.

If you're into sour mash beers, Blue Owl is on the east side now. They don't usually have food though.

Not a brewpub.... but The Gingerman had great atmosphere and awesome beer selection, good food when I was there a couple years ago. Right downtown.

Be sure to look up alternative transportation apps/methods. Uber stopped operating here after a vote a few months ago about driver requirements. There are a few smaller, newer startups that provide similar service.

And if you can find one during non-peak traffic times, there is a great hub of breweries up north - Adelbert's, Circle, Austin Beer Works. I think they all do food trucks.

This doesn't feel like the right place to post this, but I think that this is the right audience to answer this question.

In a week I will be going to Austin TX for business. I am going to be downtown near the convention center. I'd really like to find some good brew pubs to eat (and drink!) at, but have't been able to really find any within walking distance. I'd even be up for taking an Uber or the like as long as it isn't too far.

Any suggestions?

Ok, I lived in Austin and when I have gone back to visit for work I stayed at the hotel right across from that Convention Center.

Lets put it this way...their is no lack of bars in this area its right down the street from the biggest school in Texas, UT.

So head down to 6th street which is not a bad walk or short taxi from where you are at when you get on this street you will also see guys on bikes that will taxi you around also.

Trophy Club has a Mechanical bull so make sure that one is a little bit later in the night after a few drinks...but is always fun to go and watch.

Midnight Cowboy and Easy Tiger are known for beer pong and its also pretty crazy. .

Pete's Dueling Piano is a really fun place to hang out its a little older crowd from my exp but its a blast.

You have the Coyote Ugly if you have seen the movie...yeah thats pretty much that.

Got MooseKnuckle? has good drink as well.

If you want the best eats....

Guys Wold Famous Fried Chicken
Fogo de Chao Steakhouse
Piranha Sushi
Moonshine patio and grill
Iron Works BBQ

Also a very famous...you have to get there first thing in the morning is Franklins BBQ.

You could take the MetroRail Red Line up to Black Star Co-Op. They are just across the parking lot from the Crestview station.

wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I won't go thirsty now.

cheers!

Ok, I lived in Austin and when I have gone back to visit for work I stayed at the hotel right across from that Convention Center.

Lets put it this way...their is no lack of bars in this area its right down the street from the biggest school in Texas, UT.

So head down to 6th street which is not a bad walk or short taxi from where you are at when you get on this street you will also see guys on bikes that will taxi you around also.

Trophy Club has a Mechanical bull so make sure that one is a little bit later in the night after a few drinks...but is always fun to go and watch.

Midnight Cowboy and Easy Tiger are known for beer pong and its also pretty crazy. .

Pete's Dueling Piano is a really fun place to hang out its a little older crowd from my exp but its a blast.

You have the Coyote Ugly if you have seen the movie...yeah thats pretty much that.

Got MooseKnuckle? has good drink as well.

If you want the best eats....

Guys Wold Famous Fried Chicken
Fogo de Chao Steakhouse
Piranha Sushi
Moonshine patio and grill
Iron Works BBQ

Also a very famous...you have to get there first thing in the morning is Franklins BBQ.

Da₩n...
I went there about 20 years ago...
I don't even remember the bar names I visited...
But for sure 6th street is THE PLACE!!
Wish I could go back again...

I'm going to recommend Rainey Street. Banger's has great food and an awesome beer selection and Craft Pride has great Texas beer and a good food truck. Walking distance of downtown.

+1 to chadzeros pinthouse recommendation. Downtown, easy tiger for sure. East 6th...hops and grain. Easy train ride to black star.

Back