My Kegerator just crapped out with a keg in it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
My kegerator just crapped out with a keg in it carbing up. Inside the "fridge/kegerator" it's maybe 70-80 degrees now.

Anyone have any advice on how to keep this sucker cool so it can carb up while I get a new one shipped which could take a week or so? I use standard refurbished ball lock kegs.

I had a similar thing happen. I just used a big plastic trash container and filled it with a good amount of ice in bags. I just kept swapping the bags out for a few I had in the freezer every time they melted to keep it rotating and from having to buy a bunch of ice. Mind as well just use the fridge as a insulator and fill it with ice.

If you don't have a way right now to chill the keg in order to serve, I wouldn't worry about chilling the keg to carb it. Let it carb at room temp. It's not like you need it ready in a couple of days anyway if you don't have the means to get it to serving temps.

I agree with ^that^ - especially if it's going to take a week to get the next kegerator up and running.
No sense turning money into melted ice for a week.
At ~65°F you can put a constant 30psi on the keg and it'll equalize at ~ 2.5 volumes - middle of the road for ales...

Cheers!

Back