Anvil FIAK (Ferment in a Kettle)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been fermenting in my brew kettle for a few years now. Nothing fancy like the Anvil system, I merely lid the kettle and seal with a plastic bag and a tight string wrapped around the kettle. Shortly after fermentation is complete I rack the beer to a keg. I really like the simplicity of only using two vessels, kettles and kegs. No downside I'm aware of.

Trub is not an issue, kettle losses are pretty high, but likely they add up to the losses experienced using both a kettle and fermenter. As always, cold crashing minimizes losses as the yeast cake / trub will compact more.

I have been fermenting in my brew kettle for a few years now. Nothing fancy like the Anvil system, I merely lid the kettle and seal with a plastic bag and a tight string wrapped around the kettle. Shortly after fermentation is complete I rack the beer to a keg. I really like the simplicity of only using two vessels, kettles and kegs. No downside I'm aware of.

Trub is not an issue, kettle losses are pretty high, but likely they add up to the losses experienced using both a kettle and fermenter. As always, cold crashing minimizes losses as the yeast cake / trub will compact more.

Good to know, thank you for the insight.

This is timely for me, as I am working on plans to minimize hose changes during brew. If I ferment in the boil kettle, it gets rid of my only remaining hose movement. Hmmm...

I like the idea of using a stainless kettle as a fermentation bucket. I wonder if the gasket that wraps around the lid could be used for any other kettle/lid of the same diameter.

Anyone have thoughts on a DIY version of the gasket? Drilling a hole for an airlock would be simple enough.

I like the idea of using a stainless kettle as a fermentation bucket. I wonder if the gasket that wraps around the lid could be used for any other kettle/lid of the same diameter.

Anyone have thoughts on a DIY version of the gasket? Drilling a hole for an airlock would be simple enough.

I bought a couple 30 quart Concord pots to use as fermenters. Drilled a hole in the top, soldered in a stainless barb, and used a silicone gasket that is made for a pressure cooker for the gasket. I think my lid is 14.5" in diameter and the gasket is 11.8", but it stretches around the lid with no issues. I got the gaskets from Amazon for like $7 each.

30Q_Ferm.jpg

Curious how do transfer off all the trub/yeast cake? Do you have a racking arm or do you just turn your ball valve/pickup tube upwards?

I bought a couple 30 quart Concord pots to use as fermenters. Drilled a hole in the top, soldered in a stainless barb, and used a silicone gasket that is made for a pressure cooker for the gasket. I think my lid is 14.5" in diameter and the gasket is 11.8", but it stretches around the lid with no issues. I got the gaskets from Amazon for like $7 each.

Compression fitting, and racking cane, plus one more fitting to allow CO2 and you can transfer without opening the kettle

T

Curious how do transfer off all the trub/yeast cake? Do you have a racking arm or do you just turn your ball valve/pickup tube upwards?

Um, the old fashioned way with a racking cane, tubing and clip that attaches to the top rim of the kettle. Fill cane and tubing with star San to establish siphon, lower cane slowly while watching tubing, when traces of yeast are seen in the racking cane raise the cane 1/4" or so....tilt the kettle to get the last bit leaving a pint or so behind.

No kettle valve needed, just simple old fashioned homebrew tools lol.

I have a large soup pot -16 litre so I do a 10-12 litre batch all on the stove. Just tried Biab, no chill overnight, yeast the next afternoon., ferment in pot. I use a hop bag so I can pull them - just to stop over bitterness from he slow chill. The pot has a reasonably neat fitting lid but that's it. Nothing to sanitise as the boil does that. Worked a treat and short enough to knock over after work.

Back