recommend a book to me please (seeds)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mraroid

Reaction score
Hi folks...

I live in Ecuador where it is illegal to import roots or rhizomes. I have some seeds, so I am working with that.

Can someone recommend a book to me? One that talks about growing from seeds?

Perhaps you know of a place on the web that talks about growing from seed in detail. Maybe you could refer me?

We have no winter here. It is not ideal conditions for hops. I will enclose two charts - one for rainfall and one for temps.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

jack

chart.jpeg

chart2.jpeg

Put the seeds in a small dish and cover with tepid water. Cover the dish loosely with a paper towel or cloth. Let them sit for a day. Then drain water. Repeat the process every day until they sprout (5-7 days).

When they sprout, plant them in small planter pots/cups (one seedling per) with potting soil or seed starting soil in a fairly sunny but sheltered area like a window sill. Plant them about one-quarter inch deep, at most. Keep the soil slightly damp, but damp all the way to the bottom of the container once they take off...easy on the water. Transplant to larger containers when they get rootbound.

If the seeds germinate, which can be challenging, you'll have both male & female. You wont be able to determine the sex until after one growing season. Male cones will have seeds. You want the ladies. Growing from seeds is a bit of a crapshoot as they seeds may not be similar to what you expect from the variety (but they might turn out better). Even so, I say give it a go and see what happens.

Good luck!

@mraroid

The seeds will need to be stratified before sowing. That is, the seeds need to experience a chilling period (usually 6-8 weeks is sufficient). The seeds do NOT need to be frozen, but they do need to be cold. You can achieve this by using a fridge.

You can mimic this process in one of two ways. You can presoak seeds, as stated above, and place the seeds on a moistened paper towel inside a plastic bag and then put in the fridge. You might want to check periodically for the presence of any molds and change things as needed.

Or, you can sow the seed directly into the pot(s) of pre-soaked soil. Then place the pot into a plastic bag and place in a fridge.

Either method will work just fine, one requires less work...

I'd imagine the biggest problem will be your latitude - so close to the equator, there's just not enough variation in the length of your days for hops to mature properly.

I'd imagine the biggest problem will be your latitude - so close to the equator, there's just not enough variation in the length of your days for hops to mature properly.

I am sure you are right btbnl. I can toss a rock and hit the equator from my house. I will just have to see I guess...

I am not sure i understand something about seeds...

If I am planting seeds from a named variety, the female plants will not be that variety?

Another seed question: How long are seeds viable? If I have extra seeds, and wish to store them, how would I do that? Room temp in a dark closet? Frig?

Thanks everyone for the many tips. I know Ecuador will be a problem. I did live in Portland Oregon and it would not be an issue above the 45th parallel...

Thanks again folks

mraroid

I have a group on FB and we have a fellow that has had luck germinating seeds. They are difficult and mold easily. Check out 'hops brasil ' group on FB !!

@mraroid

Correct, because hops are an outcrossing species, they will not come true from seed like soybean, peas, wheat, or barley. They are a hybrid from two unique parents. They will retain half their genetic makeup from the mother plant, but also half would come from whatever male(s) is present.

Secondly, the seed can survive for a decade or longer when stored at proper temperatures and humidity. Not something we're likely able to do, so seed viability is likely to be decreased. I can tell you from experience that with 2 year old seed, I've had variable numbers based on which cross was being evaluated. The cooler you can keep it, the better though.

It may benefit you to try and evaluate varieties from South Africa where they have developed day-neutral type varieties.

Back