Imperial melon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgregory90

Reaction score
alright after making several attempts of brewing others "clones" i am giving this a whirl and would like to get some thoughts ...
When i lived in Denver i drank a beer at a brewery call 2Twentytwo (want to give them a plug) it was called Melon IPA , but it was a double/imperial IPA . The one thing i did get from the brewer before i moved is that he used all Huell Mellon Hops (sorry if i butchered the spelling) This was a smooooooth beer that had a higher alcohol content with some great fruity tastes . so i put some stuff in a recipe designer and came up with the following ( i started off with Citra hops due to the higher alpha acids and fruity taste) i would like to get some feed back on the old timers
this is for a 4 gal batch

Fermentables
% lb fermentable
83% 7.5 2-Row - US
6% 0.5 Wheat Malt - DE 37
11% 1 Caramel/Crystal 40 - US

Hops
oz variety type usage time AA IBU
1 Citra Pellet Boil 60 minutes 12.0 56.6
1 melon Pellet Boil 40 minutes 7.5 31.1
1 melon Pellet Boil 10 minutes 7.5 12.8
2 melon Pellet Dry Hop 7 days 0.0 0.0

Yeast
name attenuation
Fermentis Safale US-05 81%
Fermentis Safale US-05 81%

if its really that smooth, you dont want a full oz at 60min. Just ditch it altogether and get your IBUs from late boil additions

Also, a 40min boil is entirely pointless. you wont taste any of the hops you add there, but at the same time, wont get as much bitterness as a bittering addition at the start of the boil. Generally, you do not get any perceviable taste from anything added before 20-30min until the end of the boil.

I also think you need at least twice the amount of huell melon. Its not a very agressive hop like simcoe, citra, galaxy, etc. Its like around 6%aa. Honestly, with the pungent fruity flavors you are describing, I wouldnt do anything under 8oz of huell melon. The crystal malt needs to be reduced to 5% max too. It will only get in the way of the hop character

+1 on focusing more on late additions. For a 4 gal double IPA, I would do an early bittering addition with Nugget to build IBUs and then with the Huell Melon do 15 min and 5 min additions and then at least a 3 oz 30 min hop stand at 175F (i.e. after flame out) and a 3 oz dry hop. Maybe even 4 oz each. The hop stand will give you a lot of flavor and the dry hop will give you the aroma.

Back