RO or just softened water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

festbier

Reaction score
I have the ability to either use RO or softened water in my basement. It seems to me that softened water would be a better option due to the fact that minerals are preserved, rather than having to add back in certain electrolytes/minerals with RO water. What is the general consensus on this topic?

Softened water has Na exchanged for Ca and Mg.... so softened water has very high sodium levels.

Without a doubt I'd go RO. Yah you'll have to add minerals back, but the salts cost pennies and you'll have consistent (and better tasting) brewing water.

Thanks. How do I go about knowing which minerals and how much of each to add? Sorry, I'm new to AG and if I'm going to do it I might as well do it the right way. I have the book How to Brew. I can look there for info as well.

BTW, Yoop, I didn't take that job in CC..not sure if I told you. They wanted to work me way too hard for too low a salary. It was good to meet you and your friends.

Thanks. How do I go about knowing which minerals and how much of each to add? Sorry, I'm new to AG and if I'm going to do it I might as well do it the right way. I have the book How to Brew. I can look there for info as well.

There are various tools out there that will help. Brun'Water is one of the more popular ones, but there is a learning curve to it.

In a nutshell your mineral additions come down to a combination of yeast health, flavors you want to enhance, and mash pH.

Check out the brew science forum for more.

Bottom line, you can go just about anywhere with RO water.

This is probably the simplest place to start: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=198460

What are you planning to brew? Beer style has a lot to do with the profile you will want to pursue.

BTW, Yoop, I didn't take that job in CC..not sure if I told you. They wanted to work me way too hard for too low a salary. It was good to meet you and your friends.

You didn't tell me- I just assumed you did take the job and that we'd see you again sometime. David and Patty were happy to meet you, too!

Oktoberfest...it will be my first AG, first lager, and the first batch in like 4 years :cool:

The general rule is that chloride helps with the 'roundness' of flavor and in this case, an Oktoberfest, a little chloride would be nice. Shoot for a mash pH of 5.4, and use a little calcium chloride, and you should be all set!

Oktoberfest...it will be my first AG, first lager, and the first batch in like 4 years :cool:

I am getting ready to brew one too...... I plan to go with all RO water (or maybe 80% RO water). I am going to use CaCl and a bit of NaCl. No Gypsum. I am going to shoot for something around:
Ca = 50+/-
Na = 20+/-
Cl = 50 +/-

I will also shoot for pH around 5.3-5.4

Do you have a gram scale/water program you use? (I use B'run Water). I could give you a "rough" equivalent in tsp measurements if you aren't to that point yet....... I will probably be figuring my recipe/water out in the next day or two and brewing early this week.

Ha - Yooper beat me to it:)

Do you have a gram scale/water program you use? (I use B'run Water). I could give you a "rough" equivalent in tsp measurements if you aren't to that point yet....... I will probably be figuring my recipe/water out in the next day or two and brewing early this week.

Yeah, that would be great. Thanks. I have a link to EZ water calculator saved but was also going to play with Bru'n water a little.

The general rule is that chloride helps with the 'roundness' of flavor and in this case, an Oktoberfest, a little chloride would be nice. Shoot for a mash pH of 5.4, and use a little calcium chloride, and you should be all set!

Thanks, that makes it sound pretty simple.

I'm still looking to get back to TX though, so our paths may cross again.

Yeah, that would be great. Thanks. I have a link to EZ water calculator saved but was also going to play with Bru'n water a little.

I am going with 100% RO water
CaCl = 2.25 grams per 5 gallons of mash water and same in sparge water
NaCl = .25 grams per 5 gallons of mash water and same in sparge water
1ml lactic acid in both mash and sparge water.
Mash pH = 5.4

"Simple" solution.... 100% RO water. and then use 1/2 tsp (a touch higher than level) of CaCl for every 5 gallons of mash and sparge water. Ideally, you would either use 1-2 ml of lactic acid per 5 gallons of water. (Or, add 2-3 ounces of acid malt to mash). That should bring you in around 40-50ppm of calcium and 50-70ppm of chloride. Mash pH around 5.4.

Back