Cider Question First Timer - OOPS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms_Jeep

Reaction score
Last weekend we made our first batch of Apple Cider and made a small mistake.
I was making a 5 gallon batch and decided at the last minute to split the recipe in half I made 2 2-1/2 gallon batches with different yeasts etc. I used the Costco 100% juice for this and S-04 yeast.

My mistake was after splitting the recipe I made the oops and added a lb of Corn Sugar I should have only added 1/2 lb. :tank: OG was 1.079. If I calculated correctly that puts if around 9%-10% ABV

I two options I see at this point leave it alone or try to correct it?? It is 9 days in the primary still active fermentation.

So should I leave it or move it into my 5 gallon carboy and add 2-1/2 gallons more apple juice to bring my final ABV closer to 6%??????

Don't worry about it, let it ferment until it stops. When its done you can add apple juice or other flavored juices to backsweeten it and add apple flavor, and dilute the alcohol at the same time. You can add chemicals to suppress the yeast before backsweetening or just keep your 9% cider in gallon and 1/2 gallon jugs and mix up batches with the juice and store in the refrigerator as you drink it.

Oh I should add that we will be bottling this, I don't want bottle issues to happen..

That was the reason for looking at adding more apple juice to a 5 gall carboy then transferring the fermenting cider on top of that. Then let it be for a few weeks until bubbling stops.
Then adding 3oz to 4oz to the 5 gallon in the bottling bucket to carbonate the Cider.

In my opinion, the extra corn sugar shouldn't pose any issues with fermentation or bottle conditioning, but it may end up a little hoochy / boozy if not back sweetened or otherwise flavored (cherry juice, or something). You can always let it ferment out and see how you like it. You have numerous options at that point, including embracing the biggness by adding honey and/or apple juice concentrate. Regardless, best of luck!

The hoochy / boozy character will mellow with time. You have enough alcohol to keep the cider cider stable while it ages. Personally, I would not take the chance of making vinegar. Bottle it as is and give it a year in the dark, you may be pleasantly surprised. When I have made an "iffy" batch (within reason) I will bottle it and forget about it for a year or so and see I have then. IMHO, bottle aging ciders is never a bad thing.

Back