Sealing your panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfairious

Reaction score
Just about done building my electric brew panel.
Is it necessary to seal each component that goes through a wall or door with silicone? Curious if everyone did or not.

Just about done building my electric brew panel.
Is it necessary to seal each component that goes through a wall or door with silicone? Curious if everyone did or not.

Why not do it? it's just a safety measure. that said, i didn't seal my RTD probes...yet! too lazy i guess, and there is very little likelihood of an issue. BUT, just do it all now or you never will!!! :)

I've seen plenty of control panels and junction boxes that would have been much better off ventilated than sealed. Trapped moisture is not good for electrical components and water will find a way in. If you're not planning to hose it down, I'd let it breathe a bit.

Where is your panel located? My panel is very close to the kettles. I have had rogue hoses splash water on it. I was glad I took the time to seal it. I turned the wrong pump by mistake which sprayed the bottom of the panel. It did blow a burner fuse but didn't fry the panel or me.

you'd be surprised how water can spray where you never thought it would in a brewery. i had a similar issue, but it did not hit my under-panel area, the only non-perfectly-sealed area on my panel. I'd seal it all up now that you have the materials, time and energy.

My brewery is in a corner. The panels are mounted on the wall adjacent to the kettles. They are mounted a little higher than I might otherwise to keep kids out and be out of the way of any water. I guess i planned for them to be out of the danger zone and never expected them to need to be water proof.

Like this:

20100515_10-40501.jpg

I have sealed mine. I was thinking about letting it breathe. But after your comments and consideration, I sealed it up. Thanks!

Back