Mash Profile w/BeerSmith & Blichmann BrewEasy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegasusherd

Reaction score
When selecting the BrewEasy equipment profile in BeerSmith, the mash profile seems to default to Single Infusion. Is this the proper mash profile to use as opposed to the others such as temperature mash, BIAB, etc. ? Thanks!

So after thinking on this, I still torn between Temp Mash & BIAB profiles. BIAB makes the assumption that I'm mashing with the full water volume, which I am, but all of the water is not in the mash tun at the same time. At a minimum, the strike temperature calculation will be incorrect. I figure maybe starting with the BIAB profile, perhaps with some adjustments, is the way to go?

Appreciate any insight from anyone who has used BeerSmith + BrewEasy. Thanks!

There is no connection between the mash profile and the equipment profile. It may be that your recipe template is defaulted to 'single infusion' and that is why it comes up when you start a new recipe. I don't have a Breweasy but it would seem that if you are using the total amount of water needed during the mash and there is no sparge step, then a full volume BIAB profile would seem to fit.

Make sure that on the mash page in your recipes that you have the 'adjust temp for equip' checked OFF.

Thanks Oginme, I appreciate the feedback. I think that's probably the way too... I'll just need to play with the settings since I will not have all of the water in the mash tun itself. Thanks!

I'd use the strike temp that the BIAB profile gives you as long as you are pre-heating your mash tun as Blichmann describes in the breweasy instructions. Then multiple the recipes grain weight by the desired grist ratio, 1.25 qt/lb is pretty typical but you could probably go as high as 2.0. This will give you the volume for your mash. The caveat would be that the leftover volume of water in the lower kettle is great enough to cover the element. 20g needs at least 5 gallons below, 15g

Oops. 20 gallon pot needs 5 gallons, 15 gallon pot needs 4 gallons, 10 gallon pot needs 3 gallons in the lower kettle to submerge the element.

Thanks swimIan -- still a little confused. With BIAB profile, BeerSmith calculates 7.87 gal needed for 10.75 lbs, which puts me at in your range at 1.36. It gives me a strike temp of 157. It's saying that if I combine 10.75 lbs with all 7.87 gal at 157 deg, I'll achieve my mash temp of 152. However, as I will not have the full water volume in the mash tun to start, adding grain will likely drop me below 152.

But maybe I'm overthinking this... at initial dough-in the temp will drop below 152, but as the system recirculates more 157 deg water into the mash tun and reaches equilibrium, I would probably get back up to 152. Hmmm ......

If you are preheating the mash tun or heating half your volume in each kettle prior to dough-in the temp will not drop as much. If you are heating all your volume in the lower kettle and none above, then you will see a greater drop in temp after dough-in.

Back