Prime Day Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
It's Amazon Prime Day y'all! Just wanted to pass along that they have the 44 quart bayou classic kettle (with steamer basket) on sale for $49.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTLY1K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Damn...I've been thinking about increasing the size of my kettle, and I missed out on this.

I have a 36-quart one now, and it works fine except that I have to carefully watch for boil overs, especially in the winter when my boil rate is almost 25% higher than in the summer. Never mind the inability to do full-volume mashes with bigger grain bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I *should* be receiving one of these kettles today, which will enable me to not only start doing full volume boils but also open the possibility of BIAB for me.

I *should* be receiving one of these kettles today, which will enable me to not only start doing full volume boils but also open the possibility of BIAB for me.

Just got mine in earlier, setting up for my first brew in it now. Are you planning on using the metal steamer basket that comes with it as a sort of false bottom for the bag?

Just got mine in earlier, setting up for my first brew in it now. Are you planning on using the metal steamer basket that comes with it as a sort of false bottom for the bag?

IF you have a strong bag that fits the kettle, and IF your not recirculating with a pump and controller, I prefer not to use a basket and allow the mash the full volume of the kettle. This is the original BIAB method that the Aussies pioneered.

Opinions vary of course, I prefer a minimalist approach to BIAB hence no basket.

I'm really not sure, I'll have to do some more research before I make that decision. The first step will be to open the box and see how much dead space is between the basket bottom and pot.

My pot did come yesterday as well, but haven't had time to open it yet.

I've brewed with the bag in the basket for 2 years now and my next brew day will be without the basket and probably forever.The reason, the difference in the temp between the outside of the basket and the grain in the bag was 12 degs and that's major and correct measured with my Inkbird probe.I can only assume between the basket and bag there not enough flow. My last batch was at 154 outside the bag and 142 inside the grain with the lid on by the end of the 60 minute mash.It started out the same obviously with an empty pot and got progressively lower through out the mash using a electric setup with a pid controller and the lid on...I'm giving up on the basket.

Back