Simplistic fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Made a move recently from a condo to a single family home with 2 car garage and had a few months prior to moving to plan out what kind of setup I wanted.

Thanks to HBT for all the informative and inspirational threads I read in this section as well as the keezer section. Figured I'd 'give back' a little and share my setup as it was very easy to get going.

I decided to go with a top/bottom fridge rather than a keezer because I already have a kegerator and while I'd love to be able to dispense more than two kegs, it's more than I really need.

I also have a couple large tool boxes full of tools that I've accumulated while working as an auto technician that take up a sizeable amount of floor space. I had weighed the option of using the kegerator as a ferm chamber, but couldn't fit more than one fermenter at a time.

So I found an inexpensive fridge on craigslist for $50, was planning on going the STC1000 route, or ranco if I didn't want to bother with wiring the STC into the fridge. Then I found the ITC-308 wired with heating and cooling capabilities for cheaper than a bare ranco.. so went with that.

Including a fermwrap, I have less than $150 into this. So far I'm happy with the performance of the ITC-308, and had initial doubts about the wood and supports being able to hold 11 or so gallons, but no problems yet.

Finally I'm able to ferment lagers year round. :mug:

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice build. Love the Sig decals too!

Thanks, it sometimes feels like I took the easy/lazy route, but it made the most sense for cost/time efficiency. Also seems to be getting the job done just fine so far.

Didn't really have anything else to put the sig stickers on, being in liberal land I find it best not to advertise. Absolutely love my P226 though.

I am soon going to be in exactly the same situation, as I currently have a kegerator just like yours and a refrigerator on the way. However I was thinking I might do it the opposite way and use the refrigerator as my kegerator. I like the idea of having a freezer I can use for fishing bait or spare ice, and my little kegerator only held two corny kegs anyway. I guess my situation is unique in that I need freezer and cold space more than I need room for fermentation. I'm still kicking the idea around. I guess my logic on fermentation space is that I only need to ferment for like a week at a time, but drinking those kegs takes far longer. Plus, I can still drop down the temp on the ferm fridge and use it as a temporary refrigerator anytime I need to as long as I'm not fermenting something. Hmmmm.

Yeah it's a choice to prioritize how fast you can drink a corny keg or two vs how many fermenters you need to keep under control. If my beer is good sometimes kegs won't last more than two weeks, sometimes a month or more. All depends on my drinking habits, either I'm cutting back or drinking excessively.

The freezer space on my fridge is cold enough to freeze water bottles so I'm putting it to use as hop storage and sometimes quick chill for bottled beer. Good luck with your new setup.

Thanks, it sometimes feels like I took the easy/lazy route, but it made the most sense for cost/time efficiency. Also seems to be getting the job done just fine so far.

Didn't really have anything else to put the sig stickers on, being in liberal land I find it best not to advertise. Absolutely love my P226 though.

Springfield XD Mod2 in .45 ACP here :). I may need to add my NRA stickers to my fridge.

Back