old equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I used to brew a lot and then i moved and all the stuff was put in storage. i am recently getting back to brewing and went to pull out my equipment and it looks pretty bad.The silicone tubing and stainless quick disconnects look "ok" but the keggles and some of the valves look pretty bad.. like they have mold and white film on it. Also i have a march pump and the plastic housing on that looks pretty rough. everything is stainless except the plastic pump housing.

Whats the best way to get these back in brewing shape?

Thanks!

Heat some water in the kettle to 120-130F. Add PBW or Ocyclean and put everything into the kettle (except the pump motor!).

With a few minutes of soaking you should not have to scrub much at all.

I reassemble everything and the pump some more hot PBW though everything. Rinse. Pump StarSan though.

Should look pretty good after that.

Like m1k3 said a good cleaning should do the trick. Nothing special PBW or Oxyclean will loosen any gunk and Starsan will sanitize. But I would do the sanitizing only just before use. Otherwise it is just a waste of Starsan. It only works while wet, when dried it is no longer effective.

Somebody here just did a review of a new product by Star, another member speculated it was "like Acid 5 for home brewers" (paraphrasing.) - The pictures of already relatively clean equipment looked like it would have to be re-passivated.

Lemme see if I can find the post.

--Edit: Here it is:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=586347

Note, I lack the experience to advise one way or the other... I simply remembered this thread from yesterday. If Star has an acid/passivater in home use strength, it may be a good way to save funky old equipment in general.

Back