Bottling 100% Brett Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
I have a Brett beer that is now 7 months old, and I will be bottling it soon. I am assuming that the yeast is still active enough for bottle conditioning? Is additional yeast needed?

Earlier this year I bottled a brett fermented beer that was 5 months old & it carbonated (with priming sugar) in 3 weeks. I can't really speak for anything older than that.

I have a cider that I bottled 3 weeks ago that was 7 months old and it had very little carbonation (almost none but you could see the bubbles). I think it it will carb up but its just going slower than normal...

Geez? 7 months?

I've done 9 all-brett beers and 8 mixed brett fermentations so far and NONE of them needed even half that time. All-brett beers are done in 2-3 weeks. Mixed fermentations are more varied but 7 months is definitely more than needed as it still continues to condition in the bottle.

Most brett strains are poor flocculators so there is usually a lot of yeast in suspension. You may need some more yeast if you want quick carbing, but I would just intentionally stir up some trub on the transfer to a bottling bucket

Well now I'm worried. I thought they needed that much time. Gonna bottle it as soon as I can!

Geez? 7 months?

I've done 9 all-brett beers and 8 mixed brett fermentations so far and NONE of them needed even half that time. All-brett beers are done in 2-3 weeks. Mixed fermentations are more varied but 7 months is definitely more than needed as it still continues to condition in the bottle.

Most brett strains are poor flocculators so there is usually a lot of yeast in suspension. You may need some more yeast if you want quick carbing, but I would just intentionally stir up some trub on the transfer to a bottling bucket

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've never brewed an all-brett beer before, but I watched this presentation that Chad Yakobson of Crooked Stave did on Brettanomyces and he said that he usually bottles his all-brett beers at around 6 weeks. I think he said he doesn't bottle them until he's satisfied with the flavor.

Well now I'm worried. I thought they needed that much time. Gonna bottle it as soon as I can!

That said, Brett has very good antioxidative properties and I'm betting your beer will still taste good.

Yeah it just took awhile to get to it heh. It seems to be doing something in the bottle though so I'm not worried. Its also cider so if they do end up under-carbed its like drinking wine :)

Back