Hood fan suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I have a little side project going that I wanted some input on. The brewhouse is a 55 gal HLT, a 55 gal MLT and 100 gal Kettle, all electric. I got a great deal on an ss hood that fits over the top of all of them (9' long x 4' wide x 2' tall) and now I need a way to pull out the steam. I saw a calculation that says to divide your wattage by 17.6 and get your necessary cfm's, but not sure how accurate that is. Because of power constraints I will probably never have more than 3 5500W elements going at the same time, so according to that calculation, I need around 950 cfm. Does anyone have any experience with some options, or have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

I run a [correction]800 cfm squirrel cage blower pulling 8" round ducts.
It works very well indeed and is reasonably quiet.
With both pumps running I think it's pretty close to a draw, noise wise...

Cheers!

I run a 1500 cfm squirrel cage blower pulling 8" round ducts.
It works very well indeed and is reasonably quiet.
With both pumps running I think it's pretty close to a draw, noise wise...

Cheers!

Hmm, never thought about a squirrel cage one, have only been looking at the inline ones. do you have a link to the one you use or similar?

I've found its really only the boil kettle that needs the exhaust...assuming you've got lids on the HLT and MLT. I have the same wattage element and use the same calculation to get to 312.5 CFM. Ended up getting a standard kitchen hood with a 300 CFM fan. Lesson learned...get a 400 CFM fan and be careful with your duct work. I get a decent amount of condensation that drips back down, but otherwise 300 CFM is fine. No appreciable increase in basement humidity on the hygrometer at the end of the boil.

How are you going to get the makeup air?

Back