Edelmetall or Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Greetings! Time for a burner and asking for advice from owners of these two burners.

Blichmann Floor Model w/ leg ext. Rarely if ever go on sale. Drop shipping adds too. I have two Blichmann kettles...top quality. I like the brand and trust they make good stuff. Around $220 with legs and shipping

Edelmetall from NB. Sale going on plus free ship. Burner with legs free ship is $166. Don't know much about the brand. Burner looks good but so what. I am performance and quality oriented.

May I ask owner's of these two brands to help me consider all factors...which include a $55 price differential?

I have an edelmetal but not with the extensions. I cant speak for the blichman although I agree they make quality stuff as I have one of their pots. That said I don't know how a blichman floor burner is any better than a edelmetal. Its built like a tank and the fine adjustment is very handy.

I have 3 Blichmann burners. Cant go wrong with them. No experience with the other brand.

You can run a Blichmann floor burner for years and it'll look pretty much the same.

From everything I've read to date, you can't say the same thing about the "copper" trim on the Edelmetall...

Cheers!

I have a blichmann and have never had a complaint with it. 3 years old

You can run a Blichmann floor burner for years and it'll look pretty much the same.

From everything I've read to date, you can't say the same thing about the "copper" trim on the Edelmetall...

Cheers!

that is true but it actually looks kinda cool if ya ask me. Doesn't affect it in anyway. Most days it looks like bluing. If you epect it too look like ya bought it forever ya the edelmetal aint for you

I love Northern Brewer, but that burner with its skinny angled legs makes me nervous. The Blichman (which I've used with great success for more than 4 years) transfers the weight of the kettle straight down to the ground via really substantial steel legs. It's sturdy as hell, which I like when there's lots of boiling liquid on top of it.

ETA: The kettle sits right on the legs - the burner kind of holds the legs together.

I love Northern Brewer, but that burner with its skinny angled legs makes me nervous. The Blichman (which I've used with great success for more than 4 years) transfers the weight of the kettle straight down to the ground via really substantial steel legs. It's sturdy as hell, which I like when there's lots of boiling liquid on top of it.

ETA: The kettle sits right on the legs - the burner kind of holds the legs together.

The weight I plan to use is most definitely a consideration. Consider a 20G Blichmann kettle is heavy empty. Add 15G of strike water. Add 21 pounds of grain. I may be off a shade but we are talking 170 pounds of total weight.

An old saying, "spend the money on quality now and only cry once". Problem is I think BOTH are top quality. Only drawback, and this drawback is subjective, is the leg design as pointed out on the Edelmetall.

I run a 15 gallon pot on mine regularly its never even flinched rocked or attempted to tip etc. I cant speak about the extensions though, that may be a concern but one would think they would make dang sure it wasn't before producing the thing. Ive had the edelmetal for 3 years. Note I'm not bagging on the blichman God knows that thing is proven but again except for the above noted affects of the copper its proven in its function for me. I think the blichman can be converted to mount on one of their stands if you ever do that which might be a benefit. Someone can correct me if I am wrong there.

I have owned both and 100% say that blichmann is far superior. When in doubt, go with the blichmann, their products just seem to work exactly how they are supposed to, never any surprises.

Havent used either so take this with a grain of salt, but just a thought on the leg design. The 3 legs of the edlemental would be more stable on a slightly uneven brew surface (garage floor maybe or driveway etc) the 4 legs of the Blichmann would be prone to a little rocking if your surface isn't completely flat.

I have the Blichmann with the leg extensions and it is amazing. its build quality is so amazing it really points out the unevenness of my driveway. Because of that mine does rock a little bit like a chair with uneven legs but I have no fear of it falling over. Plus its super efficient and quiet.

I have never seen either personally, but:
I don't know about the Edelmetall with the leg extensions but the strength of the legs has been discussed before. In response I saw a video with 2 guys standing on top of one without the extensions. So unless you are talking of boiling more that 400 pounds of wort, I don't think you would have a problem.

I talked with Doug at Blichmann this morning. He asked about my floor surface: I'll use the burner I choose in my man cave with a smooth concrete floor that is finished and nicely even. That removes at least one variable in that my floor is level.

Doug states the floor burner with leg extensions is easily capable of handling their 30G kettle with max strike water and max grain bills. All factors point to the Blichmann being a beast. No bad reviews after days of research....all darn near perfect.

NB is a great company. I'll call them today to discuss the load bearing ability of the Edelmetall on leg extensions.

Unless something drastically shifts my pointer toward Edelmetall, I think it is worth the extra $55 to go Blichmann. AND, as one poster pointed out, this burner can be used with Blichmann burner stands if I ever move from BIAB to 3V. I learned never to say this purchase is where I'll end up with my equipment or configuration.

[...]I cant speak about the extensions though, that may be a concern but one would think they would make dang sure it wasn't before producing the thing. [...]

Um...this is the same company that brought us the glass Big Mouth Bubblers and the Dark Star burner...

Cheers! (Maybe wait for Version 2.0? ;))

fwiw, pre-brew-structure days these were my HLT and BK (cooler MLT is off stage-right).
Note the leg extension mod on the left burner.
ab_aug_09_2012_02.jpg

It was easy enough to do and definitely increased the footprint/resistance to a bowl-over by an errant assistant in a hurry...

Cheers!

Edelmetall:

On the NB website. I don't know if they edit reviews but: 5 star = 32, 4 star = 10, 3 star = 2, 2 star = 1, 1 star =1

Complaints are the copper doesn't stay shiny. Some burner holes plugged and a couple of gas line/regulator problems.

Um...this is the same company that brought us the glass Big Mouth Bubblers and the Dark Star burner...

Cheers! (Maybe wait for Version 2.0? ;))

I knew there were problems with the bubblers..what was wrong with the dark star? I know the edelmetal is sold through NB but its also sold a lot of differnet places as well soooo IM not sure its "built" by NB is it? I don't even know to be honest with you. I only know I have one, its never failed me, Ive had it three years, its very well built and sturdy, Ive probably brewed on it 75 times or better.

I knew there were problems with the bubblers..what was wrong with the dark star? [...]

Aw, I'm just bustin' yer rear ;)

But the original glass bubblers literally carved people up. Truly appalling stuff. I understand the 2.0 version is less prone to that.

The first gen Dark Star was a pot-blackening POS that eventually MW/NB confessed had been fitted with the wrong burner.
The 2.0 version apparently works much better.

Cheers! ("Pioneers catch the arrows" :D)

I received Blichmann burner (no leg extensions) for Christmas and have been using it with my keggle for BIAB brews now. The burner is amazing and stable as all can be with my keggle with water and the grains. It's quiet and efficient with the propane, which is very nice! I have no experience with the edelmetal burner, but the Blichmann I would recommend hands down to anyone looking for a propane burner. This thing is a BEAST!!!!

I received Blichmann burner (no leg extensions) for Christmas and have been using it with my keggle for BIAB brews now. The burner is amazing and stable as all can be with my keggle with water and the grains. It's quiet and efficient with the propane, which is very nice! I have no experience with the edelmetal burner, but the Blichmann I would recommend hands down to anyone looking for a propane burner. This thing is a BEAST!!!!

In my opinion, and only for what it's worth, I found a huge difference in my beer quality when I switched over from extract. I noted that on your sig line and wanted to thumbs up you on that.

Unless something radically changes my direction, I'll be ordering the Blichmann floor burner with leg extensions first thing next week. Blichmann controls pricing closely, so I am looking for the best (or free) shipping rate from a supplier knowing the price of the burner is fixed.

As a side note, there are virtually 5 star ratings on every review I see for Blichmann. One reviewer gave the burner a 3 star rating because UPS delivered it a day later than he expected. How silly is that? LOL

Thank you all!!!

Decision went to Blichmann Floor Burner with leg extensions. I ordered from MoreBeer with a reduced shipping rate compared to other online suppliers I found. I like this company and find shipping is rapid from their east coast warehouse and I am in SC.

By no means am I disrespecting the Edelmetall burner. I believe it to be of the highest quality and a good choice as well.

Job done and your input gave me food for thought. Lots of research went into this decision and I appreciate all that gave me feedback. Thanks!

As a follow-up with this original thread, I ordered the Blichmann burner with leg extensions. I researched Edelmetall and Blichmann as the two finalists. The Blichmann came in this week and I just did my first beer with it today.

The Blichmann is a beast, very heavy, very solid, exceptionally stable on it's 24" legs. The 4 adjustable kettle bases are easily moved in and out for my 10G or 20G Blichmann kettles.

The burner is whisper quiet and got my full volume (7.5G) strike water up to 152 in record time. Boiling is fast and as far as I can tell with this first brew, stingy with the propane too. I know I dropped a few coins on this burner, but it may save me enough propane over time to actually come close to paying for itself!

I am appreciative of the feedback and comments that helped me make the decision to buy the Blichmann burner. Absolutely PLEASED!!

If I could now find an immersion chiller that brings my wort from 212F down to 65F as fast as the burner brought it from 65F to 212F....I'd be one very happy brewer!!!

As a follow-up with this original thread, I ordered the Blichmann burner with leg extensions. I researched Edelmetall and Blichmann as the two finalists. The Blichmann came in this week and I just did my first beer with it today.

The Blichmann is a beast, very heavy, very solid, exceptionally stable on it's 24" legs. The 4 adjustable kettle bases are easily moved in and out for my 10G or 20G Blichmann kettles.

The burner is whisper quiet and got my full volume (7.5G) strike water up to 152 in record time. Boiling is fast and as far as I can tell with this first brew, stingy with the propane too. I know I dropped a few coins on this burner, but it may save me enough propane over time to actually come close to paying for itself!

I am appreciative of the feedback and comments that helped me make the decision to buy the Blichmann burner. Absolutely PLEASED!!

If I could now find an immersion chiller that brings my wort from 212F down to 65F as fast as the burner brought it from 65F to 212F....I'd be one very happy brewer!!!

http://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra

I love my Blichmann! It's definitely a sipper, and quiet. The btu output is nice too. It's built really well also.

I still use my big 'ol black 250,000 btu burner ($75 on Amazon) when I'm in a hurry. It's brutal on propane though. Lol!

Congrats on the burner. They're fantastic!

jaded brewing hydra. In the winter (here KS) it will take 10 gallons from boil to pitch in about 8-10 minutes

I saw these IC's and actually emailed JaDed for info. It was over the 4th weekend and I must have gotten lost in the shuffle. Your recommendation makes me want to take another look.

My city supply is at 82F here in SC as we speak. I usually have to drop my wort into the mid 80's, then shift over to a closed loop ice bath recirc system.

Do you feel the hydra will be a good solution in light of my (currently) warm tap water cooling source? Unless I go glycol, which I am really not inclined to do, will the Hydra help me shave some cooling time off my schedule?

I saw these IC's and actually emailed JaDed for info. It was over the 4th weekend and I must have gotten lost in the shuffle. Your recommendation makes me want to take another look.

My city supply is at 82F here in SC as we speak. I usually have to drop my wort into the mid 80's, then shift over to a closed loop ice bath recirc system.

Do you feel the hydra will be a good solution in light of my (currently) warm tap water cooling source? Unless I go glycol, which I am really not inclined to do, will the Hydra help me shave some cooling time off my schedule?

I have one and IMHO I don't think youre gonna find a better IC. That being said as your wort temp gets closer to actual water temp it takes longer and longer. Sorry I'm no fluid dynamics expert somebody probably knows the science behind it. So youll need a pre chiller or a way to cool it down to pitch afterward. I have a ssbrewtech BME conical which has a coil in it and that allows me to get to pitch pretty quick. Without it other things would have to be done. Ice water batch or like I said a pre chiller (a coil in a bucket of ice water prior to the IC.

I have one and IMHO I don't think youre gonna find a better IC. That being said as your wort temp gets closer to actual water temp it takes longer and longer. Sorry I'm no fluid dynamics expert somebody probably knows the science behind it. So youll need a pre chiller or a way to cool it down to pitch afterward. I have a ssbrewtech BME conical which has a coil in it and that allows me to get to pitch pretty quick. Without it other things would have to be done. Ice water batch or like I said a pre chiller (a coil in a bucket of ice water prior to the IC.

Well, we are in the heat of the summer and this is to be expected. It is only a few months of the year, so I can stick with the ice bath recirc system that works pretty well once I get down below 90. If the Hydra can shave 5-8 minutes off my total time I am dealing with now, it is worth it to me. Then, when my water supply temps lower in the fall, all will be fine. In this hottt weather, I am taking advantage of the temps to do some Gose and Berliner Weiss sours. Roll with the flow. I am pretty well sold on that Hydra.

Just received my Blichmann with extensions. Thing is much heavier than my Bayou and I can't wait to fire this baby up! It will also be nice not having to mess around with cinder blocks any longer!

Well, we are in the heat of the summer and this is to be expected. It is only a few months of the year, so I can stick with the ice bath recirc system that works pretty well once I get down below 90. If the Hydra can shave 5-8 minutes off my total time I am dealing with now, it is worth it to me. Then, when my water supply temps lower in the fall, all will be fine. In this hottt weather, I am taking advantage of the temps to do some Gose and Berliner Weiss sours. Roll with the flow. I am pretty well sold on that Hydra.

I use the Hydra for 10 gallon batches and I live in southern Arizona. This weekend it was 105 F outside and I got my wort from boiling to under 70 F in about 11 minutes. I start off with the hose on full blast straight into the hydra until the wort hits ~120 F at which point I hook up my prechiller sitting in an ice bath with 40 lbs of ice ($4 at the local ice hut or at Costco). If I keep everything moving, 11 minutes is no problem. Jaded has all sorts of testing data and recommendations on chilling configuration, so follow their recommendations and you'll be able to chill very quickly.

Just received my Blichmann with extensions. Thing is much heavier than my Bayou and I can't wait to fire this baby up! It will also be nice not having to mess around with cinder blocks any longer!

But cinder blocks give the brew house so much character!

Fired up the Blichmann today - just boiled some water to test the new equipment. All I can say is: Wow!

Went from cool ground water to boil in no time and the thing doesn't sound like a Harrier Jet is landing on my deck!

I'm taking her on the maiden voyage tomorrow and looking forward to brew day!

Fired up the Blichmann today - just boiled some water to test the new equipment. All I can say is: Wow!

Went from cool ground water to boil in no time and the thing doesn't sound like a Harrier Jet is landing on my deck!

I'm taking her on the maiden voyage tomorrow and looking forward to brew day!

One thing (besides the quiet operation and quality build) is the propane efficiency I'm getting. I have completed 3 mashes/boils for 5.5G batches plus one additional mash for a lacto sour I am preparing to boil later today. Provided (almost 100% certain) I make my 60 min boil with the remaining gas, that will be 4 full batches on one 20# propane tank. I am very impressed with this purchase!!! Good luck today!!

I used to turn up the volume on my Bluetooth speaker just to hear. No more! Need to dial in my boil off rate with the burner and new kettle but I have zero regrets with this purchase!

My tank was about half full so I'm looking forward to seeing how efficient this thing is.

I have a blichmann with the floor burners so I can't coment on the other brand. I CAN say it would probably be less expensive to custom build one using the exact same burner from Amazon. The burner plus the extensions are probably less than you could go to any welding fabricator and have them make you a stand with heat shield for less than you'd pay to have the Blichmann mailed to you. It just won't have the cool look of the blichmann everyone knows. It will have the same burner though.

I finished my fourth 60 minute boil (plus single infusion mashes) on the same propane tank with my Blichmann burner. Hard to tell but there is a tiny bit of gas left...maybe enough to do another mash before swapping.

I fill my tanks at a local hardware store, and I honestly think the tank gets filled more with this system opposed to the pre-filled tanks you can buy in locked cages at various stores. The hardware store charges per gallon, so they are not stingy with the gas as would be the case in pre-filled tanks. Plus, I figure there may be expansion and safety issues with pre-filled tanks. None the less, 4 brews on one 20# propane tank ($10 fills) is pretty darn sweet!!! Go Blichmann!!!

I have a blichmann with the floor burners so I can't coment on the other brand. I CAN say it would probably be less expensive to custom build one using the exact same burner from Amazon. The burner plus the extensions are probably less than you could go to any welding fabricator and have them make you a stand with heat shield for less than you'd pay to have the Blichmann mailed to you. It just won't have the cool look of the blichmann everyone knows. It will have the same burner though.

Pics, or it's never happened ;)

No fab shop near me would price their work that cheaply...

Cheers

Back