Help!! Can't find the leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2 keg system and I cannot seem to find my leak. I've had this system for a few years now. I thought it might be one of the posts but I've turned off the regulator for a few days and when I pull the relieve valve there's still pressure. Ive sprayed star San all over the place numerous times and don't see any bubbling. I've blown through 3 co2 tanks now thinking each time the problem was under wraps. Any ideas?

Have you sprayed your keg and disconnects? It could easily be the lid seal, the disconnects or o-rings, etc. Have you sprayed the regulator as well? Could be a leak around the adjustment screw.

What you have described is not a conclusive way to test for leaks, assuming there is carbonated beer in the keg, because the beer off gas ans try to equalize pressure in the keg.

The only way I have ever been able to find a leak is to isolate each component the best I can and spray starsan and look for bubbles. For the keg, that means filling ti with gas to a reasonable pressure and checking the lid seal, the posts, the neck of the posts, and especially the poppets (without a QD attached). For the tank, its basically the same idea. Get gas in all the lines and check each joint, component, connection, QD, everything one by one with starsan.

If starsan isn't working, you can just use a mild dish soap like Dawn and water. Other than that, you could use a specialized leak detecting solution, but I have personally never found it necessary.

EDIT: Based on the suggestions above, and because the system developed a leak after a few years, my focus would be on checking the regulator and anything that has an o-ring style seal.

Here is how I would go about it.

First determine if it's one of your kegs or if it's somewhere in your regulator/gas lines. You do this by charging your kegs to 12 PSI, disconnect the gas from the kegs, then shut off the TANK valve so that your regulator still reads 12. Leave it alone for several hours. If the pressure on the regulator has stayed constant, the leak is probably in one of your kegs. If the pressure has dropped, the leak is somewhere in your regulator/lines/fittings.

If the leak is in your kegs:
Charge both kegs to 30 PSI and lay them on their side in a bathtub full of water and look for bubbles around any of the connections (lid, posts, poppets). If you see bubbles you've found the leak. You can try reseating or replacing O-rings to fix it, or apply keg lube to the O-rings to help them seal.

If the leak is in your regulator/lines/fittings: Crank the pressure in the lines up to 30 PSI, Pull all of it out of the keezer and submerge all the lines and fittings in a water bath to look for bubbles. Do not submerge your regulator. to check your regulator, spray star san on the gauge threads, and especially on the connection to the CO2 tank. look for moving bubbles that happen in the exact same spot every time you spray. Even just 1 bubble will show you where the leak is. My bet is on the tank/regulator connection.

If its a threaded fitting other than your regulator/tank connection, make sure you are using teflon tape and really tighten those suckers down. If it's your regulator/tank connection, replace the small gasket that should be in the female threaded end of the regulator and really crank it down hard.

Just be systematic and observant. A slow leak will make slow-growing bubbles that are somewhat hard to spot. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I really don't think it's the kegs because I've left pressure off of them but when I pull the valve they still hiss like there's a fair amount of pressure inside. If the leak was in the kegs all the pressure would be gone I think. I'll have to try the bathtub test. I hope it's not the regulator

Thanks everyone. I really don't think it's the kegs because I've left pressure off of them but when I pull the valve they still hiss like there's a fair amount of pressure inside. If the leak was in the kegs all the pressure would be gone I think. I'll have to try the bathtub test. I hope it's not the regulator

That doesn't actually test the kegs. If the leak is letting CO2 out of the headspace more slowly than the beer can offgas, you will always have some pressure until your beer goes completely flat (a very long time at that rate).

Do the 50/50 test in the first part of my original post, just to make sure. It's a simple step that could save you hours of work and will help you localize the problem so you can focus your efforts.

You wouldn't try to dig up a leaking water line by guessing where it was buried and just digging a hole. Trust me, take the time to be systematic and you will save yourself hours of headache.

That doesn't actually test the kegs. If the leak is letting CO2 out of the headspace more slowly than the beer can offgas, you will always have some pressure until your beer goes completely flat (a very long time at that rate).

Do the 50/50 test in the first part of my original post, just to make sure. It's a simple step that could save you hours of work and will help you localize the problem so you can focus your efforts.

You wouldn't try to dig up a leaking water line by guessing where it was buried and just digging a hole. Trust me, take the time to be systematic and you will save yourself hours of headache.

exactly.
I would systematically track every component. Kegs, connectors, lines, manifolds, regulator, etc. You need to disconnect parts of it at a time and see what happens to the pressure over hours/day or so. Or immerse it/spray with liquid.

So I think there is a consensus as to how to go about trying to find the leak, which is to check each component and junction in the system. That is the only way I have ever found success in such situations, whether with beer or cars or plumbing, etc.

As for the regulator, many of them, such as TapRite, sell rebuild kits for a reasonable price, like $15 or so. You can fix it yourself quite easily.

fwiw, if only to rule it out, always fully open the cylinder valve.
Do not depend on stem packing, open it 'til it stops turning...

Cheers!

I'm dealing with the same problem. Don't have star san. I saw reference to using dish washing soap. I assume mixed with water, correct? How much water?

Water only would do... but
A little soap makes it easier...

Correct procedure is to open all the way, then back off a little bit.

a logical systematic finding mission is in order.
i had a leak about 3 weeks ago.
i spent nearly 2 hours out there, sorting the issue out. 2 leaks found (1 of which I was sure wasn't where it was coming from)
close all your valves.
test reg first.
then open your valve to your manifold or other. (I run a manifold nd tested each port individually.)
pressurise your keg, and disconnect using starsan or soapy water to search for bubbles. if needed remove your posts and look closely for marks cuts etc in your rings, if concerned change them
i then submerged all non beer related gear in star-san. regulator disconnected manifold disconnected.
because your dealingw ith a gas, it makes it that much harder to find the issues sometimes.

test everything you can systematically, you'll thank your self in the long run

Back