Help naming my Red Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Have had good luck with these posts in the past when I'm having writer's block. I have failed coming up with a good name/label idea for the beer I have fermenting now. I'm open to anything, names that rhyme, names that don't rhyme, etc.

A little about the beer, it is a 5.8% Red Rye IPA that I brewed with Warrior (bittering), Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe all in flameout and dry hopped twice. I brewed it Saturday, when I called out sick from work to spend the day brewing with my fiance.

Here's some previous labels to give you ideas of what I usually make.

CZECHMATE PILSNER.jpg

KLEPTO SAISON.jpg

LAKEWALK PALE ALE.jpg

THREE HEARTED IPA.jpg

Since we are apparently trying to come up with serious names, I propose you call it "Red Frog" because it is (1) red and (2) very hoppy. You can continue your labeling theme with the shot/compact name and an artistic rendition of a photo of a red (and poisonous) tree frog. They are really neat looking, google it.

For some reason I thought of a Red Eye flight when I saw the thread. With your artistic skills you could probably make it happen.

Since we are apparently trying to come up with serious names, I propose you call it "Red Frog" because it is (1) red and (2) very hoppy. You can continue your labeling theme with the shot/compact name and an artistic rendition of a photo of a red (and poisonous) tree frog. They are really neat looking, google it.

I actually really like the idea of combining these two considering I love aviation. I'm an air traffic controller at the day job so this is cool!

It could be "Red Eye" named with a "hoppy" catch phrase, but have the red eyed tree frog as the main art piece. Going to think more about that one.

I think Red Rabbit flows better and still follows the same logic. Or Red Eyed Rabbit is another option...

Something that starts with R. Rambling, Ridiculous, Rulebreaker, Revelation. If you couldn't tell from my signature, I like alliterative names.

For some reason I thought of a Red Eye flight when I saw the thread. With your artistic skills you could probably make it happen.

I blended these two ideas and came up with this current WIP, thanks for the ideas! I'll probably add a "hoppy quote" somewhere in the open space too. I've also considered an airliner climbing out in the far distance in the background.

RED EYE RYE IPA.jpg

Awesome logo. Great job and nice artistic touch.

Do I get a beer for winning? I should at least get half a beer.

Awesome logo. Great job and nice artistic touch.

Do I get a beer for winning? I should at least get half a beer.

I've done this before actually. Last time someone helped in a post like this I offered to send them some of the Bourbon Barrel Porter they named.

It's in the fermenter now, if it turns out nice I'll get your shipping info :mug:

Nick.

Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car

Nick!

(seriously, I'm here just to ask you for your technique on how to make those sketch drawings)

Nick.

Nick's a real name. Nick's your buddy. Nick's the kind of guy you can trust, the kind of guy you can drink a beer with, the kind of guy who doesn't mind if you puke in his car

Nick!

(seriously, I'm here just to ask you for your technique on how to make those sketch drawings)

For the drawing portion of the label itself I use filters and color alterations in GIMP. You can do the same thing on Photoshop. I basically take a hand sketched drawing which can be in any color but the more black/white as the only color the better. I then use color threshold tool to reduce the drawing to a set of only two colors, black and white. This gets rid of any gray and shading colors. Then I just select all of the white that's left over an remove it making it transparent, leaving behind only black sketch.

I was just thinking RedRyeder IPA myself...from the same inspiration! Or maybe AriesIPA, after Aries, the god of war, IE the red planet.

Back