What to do when hops reach roof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
My hop garden is doing really well this year. I have three plants that have reached the roof already but I'm a bit worried about what I do with them now. Here in Kamloops, BC it gets really hot from now until September, and I am worried about whether the hops might burn the tips being at the roof with asphalt shingles which get really hot during the sunny daytime.

Should I:

- train the tips to grow back down the twine?
- just leave them and let them do what they want?
- trim them to stop more growth? (Prob not good)
- anything else?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467173022.738652.jpg

Please let me know what others do in this situation.

I let one of my clusters grow on top of my roof and it burned the tip off the main bine from the heat of the shingles. I trained the rest sideways under the gutter and it's still going strong

Build a bigger house!!!!!

Just kidding... Or am I?

But really, what you could do is elongate the twine. Instead of going straight vertical, use a uni-knot or something of the likes and add twine so you can tie to a spot on your roof further away. (Kinda seems like I didn't explain that well, let me know if you didn't understand and I'll take another stab at it.) Depending on the side of the house, you may lose some satellite reception though! :D

Stillraining Sun Peaks is my home but we should go to Revy. Best ski hill in North America.

I've been thinking about running a steel wire from the roof over to the playhouse and then stringing the hops along that using clips.

Why do you think you need to 'do' anything?

RDWHAHB! They will be fine! :)

TeeJo

The hop plant that has grown the most has now doubled over and is reverse climbing down the twine of one of the slower hops. I agree, and am pretty lazy when it come to finnicking with these things so I am gonna probably just let er go crazy. In the end they may tangle together at the top, but I'm not too picky if some of the hop comes get a bit mixed up. Plus this will hopefully produce essay more that I can use in my brewing year, so some will just go to waste if they're really mixed up (oh the horror!)

Back