How much lactic acid should I pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjonwheels

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here. I'm attempting my first Berliner today. I'm souring the wort after mashing and a quick ten minute boil. The only question I've got that I can't seem to find an answer to is how much lactic acid should I pitch to the wort prior to letting it sit for a couple days?

I know I want a PH of 3.5ish before I boil, the guy at my local HBS said to add lactic acid post mash until the PH hits 4.7. Do I just add a small bit at a time, stir lightly, then check PH?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think that you have 2 different things confused here
Lactic acid is used in the mash to adjust pH (down to a level of usually 5.2-5.5); that is not to say that 4.7 isn't correct, just not the usual.

Lactobacillus is a bacteria that is used to make "sours".

Which one are you trying to do?

Got it. I just remembered that he told me to put 3 probiotic tablets in there for the bacteria.

So I guess now I just gradually add the lactic acid in until I hit my target PH prior to adding the "cultures", as he called them.

Are you currently brewing?

If not then may I suggest using a water chemistry calculator (like EZ Water or BrunWater) to dial in your target pH before you even start. That way you will be in the ballpark to begin with (or exactly spot on) and then you will have a better idea of how much acid to add.

Otherwise it can be like chasing your tail. Add too much acid and then you have to add carbonate to get it back and that can go back and forth causing madness.

Unfortunately I'm just mashing out.
That's for your help though. I appreciate it!

Back