overwhelming sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARCELO178

Reaction score
I would like to brew an overwhelming sweetness beer. I can deliver a beer with some sweetness, but I am having some difficult tring to brew something really sweet. I would like some sweetness like Fuller´s Golden pride or Paulaner Salvator. I know these are big beers with ABV around 8%, But is it possible to get similar sweetness in a 5% beer?
I have some malts in hands like munich 10L, Melanoidin 28L, Crystal 45.
For Base I usually use Pale ale, munich or pilsen.
Can someone help me with some ideas?

:mug:

I would like to brew an overwhelming sweetness beer. I can deliver a beer with some sweetness, but I am having some difficult tring to brew something really sweet. I would like some sweetness like Fuller´s Golden pride or Paulaner Salvator. I know these are big beers with ABV around 8%, But is it possible to get similar sweetness in a 5% beer?
I have some malts in hands like munich 10L, Melanoidin 28L, Crystal 45.
For Base I usually use Pale ale, munich or pilsen.
Can someone help me with some ideas?

:mug:

I was told to add 2-3 ounces of lactose powder per gallon to sweeten the brown ale I'm brewing. Lactose is unfermentable so the sweetness remains in the beer after fermentation.

I'll let you know how this works in about 2 weeks when I bottle the brown ale.

Mash really high, like 157-158 for 45 min. and follow with a mash out to lock it down. I did this as an experiment with a brown ale recipe. The result was a very sweet and full bodied brew with 4.8% ABV. It tasted like butterscotch and was obviously dextrinous. It was way too sweet for my taste but I was pushing those mash temp. limits just to see what I'd get.

Soft water, Golden Promise Base, 10-15% Flaked Corn, 5-8% Sugar, +1 for few oz of Lactose, and a fruity ale yeast Burton/Bedford English ale strains or Denny's 1450 or Cali V or Kolsch (never used any, about to make my first Kolsch as soon as life permits)

I am torn between my curiosity of how this will turn out and the initial reaction I had that this is going to taste disgusting.

I have a massive sweet tooth, but for some reason really sweet beers (most of the very high ABV ones) like Samichlaus Classic Bier always made me feel sick from the taste. I can't understand why because root beer, ice cream with extra sugar gobbed on top, etc. doesn't make me feel sick. Maybe it's the malt. I've always described beers like that as tasting like I was drinking sweet rust.

If I were going to do this though, I think mashing high is a better idea than lactose. Since most people in the world have at least some level of lactose intolerance, if you like sharing your beer, avoiding lactose could be a good idea.

Other non-fermentable sweeteners are xylitol (poisonous to dogs) and stevia (watch out for fermentable additives).

Lactose is a sugar, one glucose plus one galactose. Actually very few people are intolerant, I say that because human milk has 7,2% of lactose while cow milk has 4,7%.
What Happens is that when you stop consuming lactose you stop produce lactase, the enzyme that brake the sugar.
Now, Every problems in the world seem to be linked to lactose. Here in Brazil is almost impossible to find lactose powder. You go to a super market and every product is lactose free!
What people forget is that we (humans) always consumed lactose with no problem, just because almost everything in our diet is milk derivative.
I have a tip for you that stopped consuming lactose for fashion and now gets really sick using it. You should use lactose, but start really slow, your body will slowly back to produce lactase.
I would like to remember that few years ago the villains were eggs and butter, now they are heathy products. Now everybody hates milk and gluten.

Actually very few people are intolerant,

The reason I linked the above article is because of these paragraphs:

Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities. Lactose intolerance is also very common in people of West African, Arab, Jewish, Greek, and Italian descent.

The prevalence of lactose intolerance is lowest in populations with a long history of dependence on unfermented milk products as an important food source. For example, only about 5 percent of people of Northern European descent are lactose intolerant.

Back