Are you using a Speidel fermentation tank? NEW PRODUCT from Nor Cal Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If so... Do you HATE that small spigot that they come with? I came up with a way to attach Ball valves, tri clover, camlock or really anything you want, to the bottom AND added a 5/8" Stainless dip tube as well. The really cool thing is, it uses the same gasket that comes with your Speidel AND it works with ALL the Speidel tanks that are available today.

Let me know if your interested. I am building these in our shop and have the ability to customize them a little. If you have some ideas shoot em my way.

Cheers
Jay

Speidel2.jpg

Speidel1.jpg

I'm interested. I was actually going to get a speidel if I could find something like this as the plastic cap and spigot just isn't my thing. I was going to go with Brewtechs but your's looks solid as well. Let me know when your ready for sales on it and I'll be one of your firsts for sure!

I'd love one! Just got a 60l for Father's Day and I want to use it for lagers get in my tap fridge. It's gonna sit up high and I've been trying to figure out how to pump it in without adding much 02 along the way.. Can you add a small dip tube on the inside like a little racking arm? Either way I'm in!

I am in. Been looking at having someone machine these for me as I hate the standard spigots. Now I can get them from you Jaybird. I have three of the Speidel fermentation tanks so I will be getting at least one to demo. If they work well I will use them on both ends. Actually I will order one right now to try it out if available. I am brewing a 10 gallon batch next weekend and from experience I know the spigot will be below the yeast line and trub on a lager.

Sweet guys thanks for the kind words and the interest! I have been keeping Victor SUPER busy with all the new stuff we are coming out with so he is a bit back logged. But I couldn't wait to share...Poor guy he challenged me to bury him in new products :) He will never do that again I bet! But I will make sure this one is on the site Monday and will update this thread once done.

Cheers
Jay

Here it is in the 32 gallon Speidel. In this one, there is about 1/2" below the bottom of the dip tube. In the smaller ones they dropped the outlet a little so it's a little closer to the bottom. I MAY drop it a little more but as it sits it worked amazing!

Cheers
Jay

Speidel4.jpg

If you guys want to get a pre order in just PM me I can get you set up on how to do that and I will make sure they ship Tuesday for you.

I am going to list these for $24.99 ea They will JUST be the dip tube part with the threaded nipple welded to it just like picture 1. Not the female Tri clover attachment that I have in the Pict 2 and 3

If you PM me for a pre order just let me know a few things so I can make sure I get the shipping right for you.

1 How many you want
2 What shipping method you want, First class or Priority
3 State we are shipping to.

Cheers
Jay

Just got a PM about maybe making these for the TOP of the tank as well for pressure transfers. I'll do a few and see how they look.

Thanks for the input and the order.

Cheers
Jay

Jay: This may be impossible to do, but is there any way to take this and add a thermowell to it? I lager with these and have been wanting to hook my Ranco into my Speidel instead of a bottle of water next to it...from the pictures, it looks a little tight, but maybe if you offset it, it would work? Either way, this will eliminate a worry for me: snapping that plastic spigot off when moving it with 12+ gallons of wort in it. Now just gotta check to see if it will still fit into the chest freezer with a longer valve sticking out...cheers!

Is there anyway to make a product like this to work with a regular 7.8 gallon bucket? Looks like a good alternative to the garbage plastic valves.

Can you move the dip tube around while transferring? Seems the valve is too low for my hoppy beers to transfer fully clean and would love a way to get above that line, also, and thoughts on a side pickup that's adjustable for tipping those last few clearish ounces?

Can you move the dip tube around while transferring? Seems the valve is too low for my hoppy beers to transfer fully clean and would love a way to get above that line, also, and thoughts on a side pickup that's adjustable for tipping those last few clearish ounces?

Not really. As it sits right now its fixed where you put it during the install. But good ideas!

Cheers
Jay

Jay: This may be impossible to do, but is there any way to take this and add a thermowell to it? I lager with these and have been wanting to hook my Ranco into my Speidel instead of a bottle of water next to it...from the pictures, it looks a little tight, but maybe if you offset it, it would work? Either way, this will eliminate a worry for me: snapping that plastic spigot off when moving it with 12+ gallons of wort in it. Now just gotta check to see if it will still fit into the chest freezer with a longer valve sticking out...cheers!

Yes one of these please....adding a thermowell would be brilliant!

I have had luck with the SS Brewtech valves if I loosen the orange cap and then carefully turn the dip tube in my Speidel. You get a little dripping but it works. I got smart and made a mark with a Sharpie so I know which way it points so I can orient it with regards to the yeast and trub.

Would love to see it offset some and a thermowell added and a small nipple of 1/4(or so) bar stock added to the front so that the fitting could be turned easier with leverage on the stock.
Maybe a deluxe eddition?

Love the idea Jay, how far past the orange lock ring does the ball valve and barb stick out?
Also any chance for a dip tube that is closer to the side?

Love the idea Jay, how far past the orange lock ring does the ball valve and barb stick out?
Also any chance for a dip tube that is closer to the side?

The nipple is just a close nipple so 1 1/8" long.

Yeah for sure. What Speidel do you own. The bend I can do on my bender is more of a "SWEEP" but I can land the end anywhere you want. PM we can work out the details.

Cheers
Jay

Would love to see it offset some and a thermowell added and a small nipple of 1/4(or so) bar stock added to the front so that the fitting could be turned easier with leverage on the stock.
Maybe a deluxe eddition?

I am working on the Thermowell and blow off tube for this right now. With this part we have VERY little real estate to work with but I will fit em both in there if I can. We are setting up the laser to do this in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Jay

Jay: if you think the thermowell is doable, you can hold my order (sent about an hour ago) until you figure it out. I am in no hurry and would LOVE that thermowell as a feature. You would solve two problems with one felled swoop! Whatever is easiest for you...and thanks for your innovation and willingness to listen to the ideas of other HBT folks! That totally rocks! :mug:

I am working on the Thermowell and blow off tube for this right now. With this part we have VERY little real estate to work with but I will fit em both in there if I can. We are setting up the laser to do this in the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Jay

If the blowoff could pull double duty as a gas in for pressurized thransfers, could have a winner. A few different ways you could go at this.
I added a gas in post to a solid cap to achieve this and works well. Pull the bung and airlock, add solid cap, connect the gas and cold crash. I'll flip the gas on as needed to swell the lid. No suck back, no oxygen, easy transfer.
The PITA was finding the hardware. Possible idea for ya there.
Thanks for all your effort in bringing your unique products to the home brewing market!

If the blowoff could pull double duty as a gas in for pressurized thransfers, could have a winner. A few different ways you could go at this.
I added a gas in post to a solid cap to achieve this and works well. Pull the bung and airlock, add solid cap, connect the gas and cold crash. I'll flip the gas on as needed to swell the lid. No suck back, no oxygen, easy transfer.
The PITA was finding the hardware. Possible idea for ya there.
Thanks for all your effort in bringing your unique products to the home brewing market!

Cool idea! I'll keep that in mind as I continue on this Speidel path of gagatry (if that's a word LOL) :D

Sent you a pm soooo want/need

Your all set up there Tom. PM sent.

Cheers
Jay

Cheers

Jay

This would be awesome! I use a carboy cap with the two openings but it doesn't always seal well.

Edited my autocorrect - carboy cap

Cheers
Jay

Could you do the same thing with a thermowell in place of the racking cane in something like this:
2825-Ultimate-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-Closeup.jpg

The tee with the valve and a thermowell would use the same connection but allow the temperature measurement and blowoff to happen. Nice thing about this is you would just have to close the valves, connect CO2 to the valve and then pressure transfer.

Mark

Jay. I like your design but prefer a smaller valve. If you put a 3/8" half cuppler on the outside of the TC instead of the 1/2" nipple then I could get/attach one of these valves (Their dip tube not needed) and bam, Bobs you're uncle!

image.jpg

Could you do the same thing with a thermowell in place of the racking cane in something like this:
2825-Ultimate-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-Closeup.jpg

The tee with the valve and a thermowell would use the same connection but allow the temperature measurement and blowoff to happen. Nice thing about this is you would just have to close the valves, connect CO2 to the valve and then pressure transfer.

Mark

Mark, I am already building them to be honest. Should be done today. Although not for the Speidel but for fermenting in a keg.

It is this part with the 16" themowell instead of the blowoff tube..

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Tri-Clover-Blow-Off-Tube-2-Inch-Tee.html

I should actually have them on the website tomorrow.

Cheers
Jay

Do you have the orange spigot caps for sale too? I am interested in a couple of these but need the screw on part as well. I picked up a couple of the 30L from a friend but helots the spigots...

Do you have the orange spigot caps for sale too? I am interested in a couple of these but need the screw on part as well. I picked up a couple of the 30L from a friend but helots the spigots...

I have them on the way. Unfortunately they ONLY come with that plastic spigot. I'll check how far out they are to get to me and let you know.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back