Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help needed quickly!!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Help needed quickly!!

I picked up a few of the small packets of c-brite to use a no rinse sanitizer for my glass secondary and lines for racking so that I could put the amber (that is now boiling) onto the cake in the primary. Well, I just made solution in my carboy and man it smells bleach. Is this stuff safe for contact with beer? Please help quickly!!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Well, yes. Rinse it off first though. c-brite is a chlorine based cleaner.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Good to know now that my secondary holds 5 gallons of the stuff. Sent someone to the store for a "no rinse sanitizer". It says no rinse, but my nose knows better. Star-san is in my future, but now I have a batch to worry about. I'll rinse the crap out of it with my bottle jet and tap water. Cross your fingers for me.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

keep in mind that just because tap water isn't sterilzed by boiling, its not a guaranteed way to infect beer. it does increase the risk, but the odds are still in your favor, especially if you pitch a good quantity of healthy yeast at the optimal pitching temp.

this helps it get a foothold and out compete any wild spores.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The primary wasn't my concern, as I'm pitching onto a cake. The beer transferred off through tubes cleaned with the bleach solution into a carboy with the same stuff is . I rinsed it all with water so hot it burned my hands, but it was still from my well. I'm sure I've done worse stuff before I knew better, and it was too late because once I realized the c-brite contained bleach I'd already started a boil with no yeast in my house, and nothing to sanitize the lines. I settled down after I rinsed everything in really hot water and got the primary transferred. If nothing else, I got to taste a hydrometer sample. I really hope that it doesn't get ruined, because it fermented completely before going to secondary, and the green apple taste, which i know will go away, was accomonpanied by a slight sweetness, alcohol, and the bitterness I love in an APA. I'm feeling better already

Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

I used to use bleach years ago. I wouldn't worry to much.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository