Low OG on my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay075j

Reaction score
I did my first All Grain recipe this weekend and much to my wife's dismay, it did not curb my addiction to brewing! Although, I did run into a problem that I would like some suggestions for in the future. I'm pretty sure that I know why my OG was low. I had a half a$$ed design for a false bottom for my Mash/Lauter Tun. But thanks to FlyGuy, I know where I went wrong in my design. Thanks for that great post FlyGuy!

My question is this: I've heard of just adding some DME to your wort to bring the OG up to where it needs to be. But how much should I have added? Is there a formula that I could keep on had to figure that out?

Thanks for all the great advise! :mug:

manny101 said:
I also did my first AG this weekend and had a blast. I can't wait to brew again. I found this site to be very helpful, http://njnear76.bravehost.com/. I plan on getting BeerTools Pro when it come out as well.

Interesting calculator....thanks for that! I currently use Promash but some of those calculations are not included. Thanks again!

I was told this by someone on the forum. Quoted post follows:

"1lbs of DME in 5G of wort will yield approximately 1.009 SG. So if you're 0.010 lower than your target you can add 1lbs to bring it up. You would do this normally before your boil in AG brewing since you would be taking a pre-boil gravity if you weren't sure about your efficiency."

When did you take your sample? I've made the dumb mistake a few times of taking a sample directly out of the MLT...... So you either end up with way too high or way too low.

So, if you make monumental mistakes, like I do, make sure you take your OG from the brew kettle.

Back