Make the Father in law proud kind of brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeffers09

Reaction score
He is hardly "Old" school. But the man is a lager drinker. Not BMC, but Yuengling, Becks, Heineken, Pilsner Urquell, and Bohemian Pils junky. All decent to great pilsners, but his words need to be eaten a little bit. I am ready to blow him away with an amazing ALE. If I hear, "All them fruity beers these days. Look, its not beer, its a pussies way of drinking. I don't like your wheaty sweet banana bread beers. Listen, Jake, its not beer."

So catching **** like that I think I want to make him something that he forces him to eat his own words. The man, HATES, ales. Talks **** about them all the time, so I am up at a tough bar, and need to make something he likes. He hates French beers and weissbier. So a great hefeweizen has been bastardized every time I give him one. Says my tripel is fruity tasting, which he is the only one. And I tried the slipped brew, brought him an open "de-labeled" bottle of something I know he likes and he said he loved it, and was pretty sure I didn't make this. And then called out what he was drinking. So its not a label thing, its a palate thing which is going to be my challenge.

So styles I have considered. And ball park beers I would like to get near in the end results.

American Amber/Red Ale - Owyhee/Lucky13 Mondo
American Strong Ale - Arrogant Bastard
Scottish Ale - Carlyle Brewing Co.
Irish Ale - River City Irish Red
Kolsch - Geary's Summer Ale

Little help would be greatly appreciated. As I am a ester/phenol malt-monster I don't have the palate to hone in on what direction to go with a homebrew to blow his mind.

You could go for a Kolsch with WLP029. They usually turn out very lager like.

I've also done an Amber Cream Ale which might work for him. Used WLP029 for that too.

I think the big thing is going to be staying away from overly fruity yeast or hops.

kolsch or altbier. & it will probably need to be lagered to be as clean & crisp as FIL expects it to be.

Definitely a Kölsch...my old man is a strict bud lite guy...he drank 3 of my Kölsch's tonight with dinner...I use WYEAST 2565 and it came out great!

Hmmmm...I wouldn't bother trying to convince someone like that. Anyway, Kolsch or Cream Ale are the obvious choices. You can also make a standard pilsner and use WLP001 fermented cool.

Give him anything that is good. If he is that narrow minded just let it go and enjoy your ales.

Just to make an impression on him, take him to see your 7 or 8 kegs and when he asks what you do with all that beer, say "I drink it!"

I'm with the Kolsch crowd on this one. This is my simple recipe that's very tasty. Given to me by a Finnish brewmaster.

7 lbs. German pilsner malt
1 lb. Wheat malt
2.75 oz. of 3.9AA Hallertau for 60 minutes (25-27 IBU's)

If you can do a step mash then do a 127 degree rest for 15 minutes then 148.
If not then do a single infusion at 148 for 90 minutes and do an iodine test.

90 minute boil unless your system is set up for 60 minutes.

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast at 60 degrees.

On our system this works out to:
OG 1.046
IBU's 26.4

I'm with the Kolsch crowd on this one. This is my simple recipe that's very tasty. Given to me by a Finnish brewmaster.

1 lb. Wheat malt

OG 1.046
IBU's 26.4

Damn this beer sounds good. I love the light lager style also and I want to tr this now....:tank::rockin:

Kolsch or a Cream ale. Personally though, I'd sooner bottle rancid horse piss with one whole hop in each bottle than waste my time trying to brew an actual beer to please someone who's set in their ways that much.

1 lb. Wheat malt

OG 1.046
IBU's 26.4

I think I will try this. I was leaning towards an Irish Red Ale, but I think I should stick with the crowd on this one. Kolsch it is. My LHBS only carries danstar, safale, and white labs so alternate WLP029 work for anyone? Or would WLP051 be a better substitute than WLP001/029 if he doesn't have any in stock. I like the idea of 051 being more fruity and full bodied than 001. Hopefully that will work.

A properly made Munich Helles with make a believer out of any beer drinker.

He is hardly "Old" school. But the man is a lager drinker. Not BMC, but Yuengling, Becks, Heineken, Pilsner Urquell, and Bohemian Pils junky. All decent to great pilsners, but his words need to be eaten a little bit. I am ready to blow him away with an amazing ALE. If I hear, "All them fruity beers these days. Look, its not beer, its a pussies way of drinking. I don't like your wheaty sweet banana bread beers. Listen, Jake, its not beer."

So catching **** like that I think I want to make him something that he forces him to eat his own words. The man, HATES, ales. Talks **** about them all the time, so I am up at a tough bar, and need to make something he likes. He hates French beers and weissbier. So a great hefeweizen has been bastardized every time I give him one. Says my tripel is fruity tasting, which he is the only one. And I tried the slipped brew, brought him an open "de-labeled" bottle of something I know he likes and he said he loved it, and was pretty sure I didn't make this. And then called out what he was drinking. So its not a label thing, its a palate thing which is going to be my challenge.

So styles I have considered. And ball park beers I would like to get near in the end results.

American Amber/Red Ale - Owyhee/Lucky13 Mondo
American Strong Ale - Arrogant Bastard
Scottish Ale - Carlyle Brewing Co.
Irish Ale - River City Irish Red
Kolsch - Geary's Summer Ale

Little help would be greatly appreciated. As I am a ester/phenol malt-monster I don't have the palate to hone in on what direction to go with a homebrew to blow his mind.

Disregard the Helles suggestion. I just re-read and saw you wanted an ale. Sorry bout that. (it's still a great style though)

I prefer the flavor of Best. It seems to have more of "that" flavor that the authentic German lagers have. Weyermann is good as well though.

1 lb. Wheat malt

OG 1.046
IBU's 26.4

This beer is finally on deck. I will be brewing it next weekend I have to say im excited to give it a try. :mug::rockin:

Pilsner or Vienna base malt, Munich for flavor and color, noble hops and a clean Ale yeast. You won't go wrong.

If you don't like hops, you don't like beer....

/mike drop

<Hides to see what happens next>

While I have my favorite styles, I want to try everything. Who cares if I don't like it; I won't know unless I try. For this reason I only drink my extreme favorites routinely, and the majority of the space in the beer fridge goes to whatever beer I felt like trying.

I'm not fond of saisons, gozes, or extreme sours but I try them anyway. Maybe one day I will find one that changes my mind about the style altogether.

Pils and Lagers are great and refreshing, but I say brew him a 10% 110 IBU beer and then laugh when he tries to say *that's* not a man's beer. That certainly wouldn't be a walk in the park for most beer drinkers.

The added bonus is if he doesn't like it, dillute it 10/1 with water and then serve it to him. Sounds like that is more his style... ;)

I don't see a problem here. Your FIL is just biased against certain beers. Nothing you do will impress him differently.

If he is so much against so many legitimate styles of beer, just brew him some lager that he will like. Then he can appreciate your efforts, rather than be disappointed when he doesn't like your "ale".

Or simply let him keep buying cheap beer at the store.

I had a similar issue with my FIL. Finally realized trying to get him to like something he doesn't like was a waste of time. He'll most likely NEVER eat his words for you and no offense but he probably sees you as a puppy dog.

The next time he makes a p*ssy comment tell him "if you see a p*ssy, slap him upside of his head", and be prepared to scrap even if you know you'll lose.

That's what I said over 30 years ago. We were never friends before or after, but I got his respect after that.

Now that my three daughters are married I think I understand him better. I completely trust my daughter's judgement but find all three of those boys not quite the man I am.

I labored long and hard to raise those girls and probably no matter who they married I'd find something lacking. I see them boys as puppy dogs that have a lot to learn yet, just like I was! Someday they'll be big dogs, but not until I'm pushing up Daisy's!

Keep some Yuengling available for him, tell him if he wants those other rich boy beers he can buy them himself.

If he doesn't go for the kolsch or cream ale suggestions, I'd go for a good Bitter.

Back