The Perfect Brewer's Apron?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rloreth

Reaction score
Okay folks. I need your help.

Father's Day is coming up and I am going to make my hubby (he's been brewing for over 20 years) the ULTIMATE brewer's apron. Well, I hope it is the "ultimate". lol

No worries. I'm a seamstress. That part will be easy.

WHAT MAKES THE PERFECT BREWER'S APRON?
What pockets should it have?
What do y'all like to have handy, that should be able to be attached to the apron?
Would you want a place for a pen? A thermometer? A rag?
Details will make this perfect.

I'm making it out of Carhart fabric so it'll be sturdy but washable.

Okay, let me have it! What details would you add to make it YOUR perfect brewing apron?

Thanks so much!!!!

I would say a pocket for pen, thermometer, maybe small notepad, and maybe room for a refractometer if he has one. That's what I normally keep handy. But Thermometer spot would be my top priority.

I sometimes wish it was cold enough here to wear an apron when I brew. From March though October I'm usually wearing shorts and a t-shirt, shoes optional.

Since I brew with natural gas having my long nosed lighter handy would be nice as would having quick access to my Thermopen.

I think I would focus on finding some kind of cool brewing-related picture or logo to be added to the apron and just have basic apron pockets across the waistline. IMO of course.

A coozie pocket for keeping his beverage cold since you can't make good beer without drinking good beer! Seriously though a loop for keeping a hand rag/wipe is very handy on brew day. How about a hot pad with a logo that attaches to the front via Velcro as an emblem while not in use? The only other suggestion would be to back or treat the fabric so hot wort doesn't soak through - ouch!

Things I always reach for on brew day:

1. Thermometer - A dedicated pocket for this would be ideal
2. Hand Towel - You could put a grommet in and also make some hand towels on carabiners that he can snap on/off the apron.
3. Sharpie + Masking Tape - A normal apron pouch pocket would be fine here.
4. Beer + Bottle Opener - You could line one of the pockets with neoprene koozy material and have a built-in koozie for brew day!

There are a bunch of things I like to have close at hand, but they don't make sense to tote around because they're bulky or best used on a table. Refractometer, Hydrometer, Star-San Spray Bottle, Small Rinse-Dip bowl, Roll of TinFoil, etc.

<Edit> Wow! Apparently everyone uses the same thing. Be sure to save your pattern and sell these suckers on Etsy after father's day.

It would be nice to have a wide or padded neck loop, that way the weight of your gear doesn't get uncomfortable.

I'd definitely go with a sort of shirt pocket for pens, quick-check thermometers, notebooks & the like. then some pouch pockets for various small items that change during brew day. & definitely Scotch guarded!

Themometer pocket, refractometer pocket--small pocket as well for the pipette used to put drops on the refractometer. I like to wipe off my refractometer with a tissue or paper towel, so maybe a pocket in which you put a small package of kleenex that could be dispensed through a slot in the front of the pocket...

A pen pocket, a spot for a small notebook....

im envisioning a batman-esque utility belt with crackproof hydro case, starsan sprayer holster, towel holster and THE REST of the slots are insulated koozies with a few ones large enough for bombers. Better would be a diagonal shoulder strap of more koozies. Oh, and they are freezable like those bubbley 6 pack totes

Latest posts

Back