Hothead ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Anyone tried this one before?
http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/14158-2/

Hothead ale yeast. They say it doesn't need temp control due to its wide temp range with little difference in taste. My buddy is using it right now and said it went to sleep at 60 degrees F. It hasn't finished yet so he doesn't know how it'll turn out. Just seeing if anyone has used it or not and what you thought of it. Says it's good with hoppy beers.

I used it in an APA with MO and Cascade before I had a fermentation chamber. Temps were around 74F during fermentation. OG was 1.058, FG was 1.009, but didn't taste too dry. They say it's supposed to bring out the hoppiness, but it didn't seem like much of a difference compared to US-05.

Ive used it extensively, mostly going into the 90s, in a bunch of my saison blends. It has a lot of peculiar qualities. Its super flocculant, makes huge clumps of yeast that stick together. Its also one of the fruitiest non-brett yeasts Ive come across. To me, the flavor is mostly tart berries with a bit of orange

I want to give this a try since my kegerator doubles as my ferm chamber, and when the kegerator is full I have to take something out of the kegerator and deal with a warm keg.

Interesting that link describes the same "chunkyness" that I always get with it. He mentioned the fruit flavors too but its hard to differentiate the yeast and the hops used. I taste my starter wort to get an idea of what flavors the yeast gives by itself under nominal conditions.

I would add that this isnt the first or only yeast option for those with limited or no access to temperature control. Literally every single saison yeast I've used (+10 strains), and most other belgians, require zero temperature control as long as they are kept in a room temp environment.

I got this for free from my lhbs due to it being over 3 months old. Made a starter and wow did it take off. Doing a session ipa with it hopefully tomorrow

Just started my second round of wedding beer using this yeast for all 3 beers, and its just taken off! All blow off tubes are barely holding in now. I'm fairly certain I will come home to a trubby mess on the ceiling.

Just pitched the starter this morning in to an ipa. Did not have the chunks in the starter and hopefully this takes off well

How is the attenuation on this yeast. I started at 1.036 and its at 1.004 now which puts it at ~89%. Anyone else getting this high with this yeast?

I'm using this yeast for my wedding beer as my place gets stupid temperature swings and first things - I love it!

One of the cleanest beers I've pulled from the fermentor. I started 3 5ga recipes June 12.

B#1- 1.057 starting 1.012 finishing (75%?)
B#2 - 1.054 starting 1.010 finishing (77%)
B#3 - 1.053 starting 1.012 finishing (73%)

So not as high as you but I love this yeast!

I used it in an American Wheat with Motueka hops and it turned out fantastic. OG 1.053 FG 1.011 I fermented at room temp (ambient 72F) and just let it roll. It was my first time with the beer recipe so I can't really say how it compares to other yeasts in the same conditions, but the end result tasted clean to me given the other ingredients and finished clear. I am going to try it with a Pliny clone this weekend (previously done with London Ale III) and I'll let you know how it goes.

I harvested 6 500ml Mason jars worth of yeast from my last couple batches. Fired 3 of them into their own 2l starter and it was ripping away in no time. Excited to see how it turns out!

So I brewed a northeast-ish IPA this weekend with this yeast. I got a starter going the day before from a frozen vial. The starter was slow to get started, but nearing the end of activity by the time I pitched it into a 1.069 wort at 85 degrees. Tossed in 3 ounces of pre-fermentation dry hops. Checked on it 9 hours later and it had a three inch krausen. At 20 hours, the krausen had dropped completely, which had me a little worried. Waited until now to check gravity at about 59 hours post pitch, and it's sitting at 1.019. I expect it to drop a few more points, but the krausen dropping so fast took me by surprise. Has anyone else experienced this?

You guys that used this yeast what flavors did you get and at what tempature did you ferment. Do you like it or is it something that you don't need to try again.:mug:

You guys that used this yeast what flavors did you get and at what tempature did you ferment. Do you like it or is it something that you don't need to try again.:mug:

I really liked this yeast. I didn;t do any side by side testing to figure out whether the "little to no impact over its temperature range" thing is true, but I always got a bunch of orange, berry, and just generically fruity flavors from it. I've used it into the 90s and just free rising at room temp.

Id definitely recommend it. Great for fruity belgian-ish beers or fruity hoppy ones

I really liked this yeast. I didn;t do any side by side testing to figure out whether the "little to no impact over its temperature range" thing is true, but I always got a bunch of orange, berry, and just generically fruity flavors from it. I've used it into the 90s and just free rising at room temp.

Id definitely recommend it. Great for fruity belgian-ish beers or fruity hoppy ones

Thanks I am into brit beer and blondes right now so maybe I will pass on this but if I get into IPAs it might be worth a try!:mug:

Pre-fermentation dry hops are something that has been used/is being explored in a lot of Northeast style IPA's. Basically, and this will be a very crude explanation, some yeasts have the ability to transform certain hop oils into different hop oils that are extremely fruity. The key is to dry hop during active fermentation. It's speculated that many of the New England/northeastern breweries are using this technique to achieve the "juicy" hop character they possess. I'll see if I can dig up an article or forum thread where this is discussed.

So fermentation finished as expected and I kegged on day 7 and added 3 oz of keg hops.

Made a Mango Wheat this summer with hot head and it turned out spectacular! Loved the flavours from it!

I’m using this yeast in an Oatmeal stout with Sabro hops, really looking forward to seeing how it turns out fermented cool in my basement

Back