Hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
I have a pale ale recipe that I use quite often to make single-hop pales to try out new (or new-to-me) hops. I almost always have a single-hop pale on tap.
I was going through my hop inventory last night and realized I have more hops on hand that I can realistically use in the short term with my brew schedule. Some are hops I bought specifically to try in single-hop pale ales, others are just things I have on hand. So, I want to try and identify some two-hop or three-hop combinations to use in pales (or IPAs) to move through some of this inventory.
Below is what I have on hand in quantities greater than six ounces (most are half-pounds). I brew 5.5-gallon batches. If you have any experience with potential combinations from this list or suggestions, would love to hear them. Thanks!

Amarillo
Comet
Mosaic
German Mandarina
Cleopatra
Pekko
Lemon Drop
CTZ
HBC 438
Idaho 7/007 Golden Hop

I have used Amarillo, Mosaic, and CTZ together, and that is a good combo. You could maybe throw a small amount of Comet in there as well if you like "dank".

I was just listening to the Experimental HomeBrew podcast and they were talking about 007. It was the episode where they were interviewing Roger Cornam (episode 4 or so). He was experimenting with it and they mentioned pear like notes.

I was just listening to the Experimental HomeBrew podcast and they were talking about 007. It was the episode where they were interviewing Roger Cornam (episode 4 or so). He was experimenting with it and they mentioned pear like notes.

Wasn't aware of that podcast. Started it from the start and am finishing episode two right now. I'll get there sooner rather than later. Thanks!

This may sound dumb to most, but maybe instead of a single hopped pale ale. You do a pale with a little of every hop you got. Hop census pale. I've had a few or two already just throwing an idea out there.

This may sound dumb to most, but maybe instead of a single hopped pale ale. You do a pale with a little of every hop you got. Hop census pale. I've had a few or two already just throwing an idea out there.

I suspect I'll get to this concept before too long. I've done this once or twice before -- the kitchen sink IPA.

Here's where I am at right now. I'm going to stick with a single-hop concept on the 007. I've heard it needs another hop or two to really shine (based on some commercial examples). But it's so new, I'll see what happens solo.

9# 2-row
1# Victory
.75# C60
.5# dextrose

WLP 200

.35 Apollo FWH
1 oz 007 20
1 oz 007 5
2 oz 007 Whirlpool
3 oz 007 Dry-hop

Then I have this IPA, which I'm really excited to brew:

11# 2-row
.75# C60
.5# Victory
.25# acid
1# Dextrose

WLP 200

.5 oz CTZ FWH
.5 Lemon Drop 30
.5 German Mandarina Bavaria 30
.5 Lemon Drop 15
.5 German Mandarina Bavaria 15
1 Lemon Drop Whirlpool
1 German Mandarina Bavaria Whirlpool
1 Lemon Drop Dry-hop, 4 days into primary
1 German Mandarina Bavaria Dry-hop, 4 days into primary
2 Lemon Drop Dry-hop, keg
2 German Mandarina Bavaria Dry-hop, keg

I have a pale ale recipe that I use quite often to make single-hop pales to try out new (or new-to-me) hops. I almost always have a single-hop pale on tap.
I was going through my hop inventory last night and realized I have more hops on hand that I can realistically use in the short term with my brew schedule. Some are hops I bought specifically to try in single-hop pale ales, others are just things I have on hand. So, I want to try and identify some two-hop or three-hop combinations to use in pales (or IPAs) to move through some of this inventory.
Below is what I have on hand in quantities greater than six ounces (most are half-pounds). I brew 5.5-gallon batches. If you have any experience with potential combinations from this list or suggestions, would love to hear them. Thanks!

Amarillo
Comet
Mosaic
German Mandarina
Cleopatra
Pekko
Lemon Drop
CTZ
HBC 438
Idaho 7/007 Golden Hop

I've used Idaho 7 in a saison before and it turned out fruitier than I expected given the descriptors. I didnt get any of that "black tea" flavor I read, but it was a nice well rounded hop for a saison.

Here is how id pair your hops

CTZ/Comet/Mosaic - dank, resiny, some tropical citrus

Pekko/Idaho 7 - orange, spicy, herbal, complex

Amarillo/Lemon Drop/Mandarina - well rounded citrus flavors

havent used the other two

Update:
The Lemon Drop/Bavarian Mandarina beer was just OK. It got oxidized somehow and had a hint of that cardboard flavor.

I made a two-hop IPA with Comet and Pekko, using a half-pound of each (~5 ounces in whirlpool and ~7ounces in double dry-hop) and it's terrific. Floral and dank. Really turned out well.

Made a ale with the Idaho 007, bolstered a bit with Mosaic and that was quite nice.

Going to revisit Cleopatra and make a two-hop IPA with that and something else.

I know these aren't on the list, but a 50/50 combo of Nugget and Centennial was awesome. Positively orangey.

Little hijack here. I just bought some cluster and was wondering what a good combo would be with that? Or is it nice as a stand-alone hop?

I've seen opinions across the board. Some say yes it's great, others say "Eww, hell no. Cluster is gross."

I've used it as a bittering hop for sure and I've used small late additions in a saison, but never in big IPA type amounts.

ETA: I've seen people combine it with Fuggles and call the beer "A Complete Clusterfuggle."[emoji23]

I know these aren't on the list, but a 50/50 combo of Nugget and Centennial was awesome. Positively orangey.

I've never used Nugget but was on another thread where someone was talking highly of Nugget Nectar, by Troegs? I'm on the West Coast so have never had it.

Would Nugget play well in the New England/hazy/juicy style?

Little hijack here. I just bought some cluster and was wondering what a good combo would be with that? Or is it nice as a stand-alone hop?

I only have limited experience with Cluster but I don't know that i see it as a standalone in an IPA or a pale. Very floral and spicy, IIRC. Pairing it with something with some medium citrus like Cascade might be a good route for a hoppy beer.
A homebrew friend had a saison with Cluster and Nelson and it was quite tasty.

I made a single hop american pale ale with cluster a few years ago and remember being underwhelmed by it. Slighty floral and herbal, I would definently pair with one or more hops.

Any opinion on Summit/Chinook/Nugget as a combo? Got them all dirt cheap so I can go nuts with the quantity.

If you can get some EKG, try Mosaic/EKG, 1-for-2 ratio and keep EKG for bittering. It came out great in my two tries with dark ales.

Any opinion on Summit/Chinook/Nugget as a combo? Got them all dirt cheap so I can go nuts with the quantity.

Fair warning that summit is my favorite hop... but i have done that combo and thinks it is very good. I would bitter with nugget and then do all 3 for late in the boil.

I like Cluster for bittering in light-colored beers (pale ales, cream ales, etc) to about 35 IBU's. It tastes "old school". Then either no late-addition hops, or a little noble hops or Willamette mostly for aroma.

I've only brewed with it a couple of times, so my opinion's probably not worth much :) And some people think Cluster tastes like cat piss (I wouldn't know)

Fair warning that summit is my favorite hop... but i have done that combo and thinks it is very good. I would bitter with nugget and then do all 3 for late in the boil.

Thanks, am right with you on the Summit. Made a very tasty pale a while back with Summit and CTZ and think this would be eve better.

They weren't on my original list but I made big pale ale with Cashmere and Azacca a few months back. I entered it in the NHC as an IPA, because it was big enough, in terms of ABV and IBU to qualify, and because I already had a single-hop pale with the Idaho 007 hops entered.
The Cashmere/Azacca pulled 35s on the scoresheets and I was pretty pleased with that. It was a good combo.

Back