BrewCipher opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I've been using Beersmith 1.4 forever. It's still on my laptop. But since I built a new desktop my key doesn't work with BS now. SO.....I thought shell out $20 for new BS or look what was available. I found BrewCipher (now on version 4.23) and I must say WOW. Someone put a lot of time into building this spreadsheet system. It has every calculator I've ever used for brewing.

I was curious if anyone else is using it and what their thoughts are on it.

I only toyed with it for a few minutes but I'm not sure how to adjust everything yet.

I use it along with Beersmith , Brun'water, and sometimes use Brewersfriend also if I find the time. I like to keep notes on which software comes close to my actual mash pH. Beersmith doesn't do mash pH predictions( next version maybe? ) but the others do.

It's surprising how close 1 of them can be 1 time and be .1 pH or more off the next. They are all a good tool, I like it. If I have the time I like to do a mini mash, I just don't always have that extra time.

I use BrewCipher and am very pleased with it, I actually find it easier to use than Beersmith. I don't have a pH meter yet so I don't know how close the predictions are but everything I've brewed how's come out at minimum very good so I and it must be doing something right.

The only things I care for in a software truly are gravity points ibus and mash and spare volumes so I don't have to do math. Boh of these do it and print out nice brew day charts. Cipher even allows you to put in overrides for calculations or change formulae. I have good brewing water here in Seattle so I don't mess with it unless I'm trying to emulate a particular beer from a unique water source

Back