Just found a real old pack of WY3725. This should be interesting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my beer fridge this morning and found a 3 year old pack of WY3725 pushed way in the back, that I forgot I even had. I think my LHBS just gave it to me for free because it was old and he does not like to sell old yeast. I think my original intention was to grow it up to have some to use when it is not offered. o

I like that yeast. It is a Private Collection yeast that is offered occasionally, but not a regular offering. So I just made a small starter to try to grow it up to a usable amount. It may take several steps but I should be able to grow it up.

Wyeast usually offers it in the summer, but they offered it last summer, so it probably won't be this year.

image.jpg

Will love to see how this goes. I've never done it, but I have an old package of Pacman currently that I would like to do the same thing with. If you can post details of your process or just point me to a thread that has the info I would much appreciate it!

Made 500 ml of 1.020 wort. Put it on the stir plate. It took two days to show any signs of life at all. Color is getting lighter now so the yeast seems to be growing. I am going to five it another day and then crash it to see how much yeast I have. Then plan to make a bigger starter and gorw it up some more. My goal is to get enough to have a stash of this to use when it is not offered.

I figure if can grow up yeast from bottle dregs this should be easy.

Woked great, stepped it up a coule times and breed a batch with some and saved some for future use.

Back