Ok if I made tea yesterday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emme

Reaction score
Yesterday, I sterilized my mason jars (two half gallon) and made the sweet tea before realizing I don't have enough starter liquid. I put the tea in the mason jars and put it in the fridge. Is it okay to use this tea today once I get a store-bought, unflavored kombucha? What if I had poured the liquid in an unsterilized measuring cup to see how much I had? And if I can't find unflavored kombucha in the store, what can I do?

Thanks a ton!

You'll be fine as long as you bring the tea back to room temp first.

You don't need to sterilize the way you do with beer, by the way. The acidic environment is now ough to ward off had stuff when you start. Take a washed jar, take some vinegar and rinse out the inside, then get to brewing.

Cheers!

As for the SCOBY and starter tea, you can usually get these on Amazon for $10ish. Would be better than a bottled store-bought buch if you ask me.

I've started scobys from flavored kombucha from the store. Just look for floaties in the bottom or something that hasn't been pasteurized

They say 3 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar will work as a starter if you don't have anything else. I haven't tried that yet but am keeping it mind if I get in a pinch.

They say 3 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar will work as a starter if you don't have anything else. I haven't tried that yet but am keeping it mind if I get in a pinch.

Yeah, that will drop the ph of the sweet tea if you don't have extra kombucha but already have a scoby. Otherwise, just start it smaller and build up your culture.

Back