Bottle cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
If I open a bottle of my homebrew and pour it in a glass and then rinse the bottle a few times with hot water, is this procedure sufficient enough to clean the bottle? I usually rinse all my bottles with hot water and then right before bottling day I soak all my bottles in a PBW solution and then rinse. Is this PBW step I am taking unnecessary? I also sanitize my bottles right before bottling with a star san solution.

I do something similar, after a pour I run hot water through it, fill it up shake, repeat twice then onto the baby bottle rack to air dry. Before bottling I like to soak in star-san and proceed as normal. They only get the oxyclean wash to clean the labels off, or if I got them from someone else.

I just rinse make sure all old yeast is gone. On bottling day hit with Star San and a quick bottle brush.

I rinse mine out then hold up to the window or light looking for any stuck on crud. If I see any I use a bottle brush. I have never used oxyclean or PBW.

On bottling day I inspect each bottle and put aside any that don't look totally clean for more cleaning.

I use Starsan to sanitize the bottles then fill.

I think pbw soak along with a bottle brush here and there is good. I don't do it every time I bottle, but even with a good triple rinse a very fine sediment can build up on the bottom of the bottles and cause an occasional problem. Ever since I started doing it every other or every third bottling I've had no issues.

I have always carefully rinsed my bottles after pouring, and then rinse and sanitize on bottling day. If I come across one that might have some residual crud in it, I toss it. Going crazy cleaning bottles is not worth my time.

I would argue that rinsing is not always sufficient. A bit of residual crud will still be there, even if it is not apparent. I think a good way to go is to triple rinse after opening, then later on do a one-step soak (or other sodium percarbonate based cleaner), then finally hit those bottles with a jet blast to fully dislodge any remaining nasties. I have gotten away from using bottle brushes because it can be such a pain to jam those things into a bottle. You might as well let the cleaner loosen up the organic material, then allow the jet blast to finish the job. Also, I recommend sniffing those bottles. Nasty dead yeast smell is a pretty strong indicator that the bottles are not clean enough. The whole process can be a lot of work, but if you're hanging out at the house watching TV or something, you can squeeze it in without feeling like you've devoted a major portion of your day to cleaning. Just be sure not to let the bottles soak too long, or you may find that the cleaner will leave a film on the bottles.

I have also done the same process to rinse my bottle with the hot water. But if you've noticed one thing, that water in the eco-friendly water bottle doesn't smell or also tastes fresh as that of new bottle.

I rinse all my bottles like you do. I then just store them. When i feel motivated i give them a hot water and Oxy soak in my sink. Scub each with a bottle brush, rinse, set aside. When all the bottles are clean I empty the sink then give all the bottles another hot rinse with a bottle washer then they go on the bottle tree to dry, then store. The day before i bottle i cover the # of bottles I need with a small square of aluminum foil and bake them in the oven at 350 for 1.5 hrs. then let them cool in the oven over night. On bottling day the bottles will remain sterile inside till the foil is removed. Not sure if this is best practice but it makes the actual bottling day go much faster. If i don't use every bottle the foil stays in place on those bottles and will already be good to go for next time. Plus its great if i am bottling and suddenly need that extra bottle or two. I always have them ready to go.

I guess that I am just lucky that my rinse well, inspect, brush if needed, Vinator with Starsan on bottling day has worked. About 45 batches or 2250 bottles and one single bottle had something, it turned into a nice sour.

I rinse twice, dunk into soapy water until about 1/4 full then clean the inside with a bottle brush attached to my drill. Rinse 3 times and put on a drying rack.

Once dried, I take a 3" square piece of foil and cover. This keeps the inside clean during storage. Plastic wrap also works, but it's testy at times, but the foil can be reused infinite times. The squares can be flattened out and stacked when not being used.

When I get ready to bottle I just sanitize with StarSan in my bottle washer.

Back