Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccoxshaffer

Reaction score
So, a week ago I went and bought all my stuff for brewing and forgot to put the yeast in the fridge and it has been sitting in the house at 68 degrees. It is liquid yeast, is it still good?:confused:

I'd bet is still good...
Not the best, but it will.make fear beer.

You will most likely need to make a starter for your planned brew. Not only because it was not stored under the best conditions, but because it is liquid yeast. Liquid yeasts come in a great variety and are very good but for most brews the starter is necessary. Just the pitfall of having so many more varieties of yeast available in liquid form over dry form.

I like this pitch rate/starter calculator.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

So, a week ago I went and bought all my stuff for brewing and forgot to put the yeast in the fridge and it has been sitting in the house at 68 degrees. It is liquid yeast, is it still good?:confused:

As others have said previously it is probably still viable...make a yeast starter and see if there is any growth.

What brand of yeast was it and what is the production date?

Cheers!

As others have said previously it is probably still viable...make a yeast starter and see if there is any growth.

Not probably, it is still viable. 1 week at 68 degrees is nothing, and will not have much affect on viability. We brew beer at that temp and expect the yeast to be OK.

.... Yes, a starter is always advisable with liquid yeast.

Back