Converting 70 quart Coleman Xtreme to Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregmosu

Reaction score
I know this has been done to death on here, but I wanted to double check before making any additional purchases. I plan on making manifolds from 1/2" CPVC for sparging and draining. I have a design in my head, but nothing more. I'll post pictures when I finish. My concern right now is how to properly attach the valve. I had planned on buying some stainless washers, fittings and a pipe nipple and using those to build a bulkhead, but then I found this:

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/truebulkheadmale.htm

Has anyone use a bulkhead specifically made for mash tuns like this one?

The other option was to make a bulkhead like this person did below:

DSC_2373_2.JPG

The whole article for his conversion is HERE.

When I put a valve through the insulated wall of my cooler back when I used a cooler, I found it easily compressed/crushed when I tried to tighten out the leaks and drips. Having the CPVC spacer like in that DIY writeup would have been best. The bulkhead option is nice, but it's just the same as what you have linked only using all stainless parts instead, and without the spacer. I'm sure it works for most people, but I would never do it again without something to keep the wall from compressing and crushing.

"I found it easily compressed/crushed when I tried to tighten out the leaks and drips. Having the CPVC spacer like in that DIY writeup would have been best."

I"m a little worried about this as well. I actually decided on a pipe nipple like in the picture above. I also purchased some fender washers that I'm hoping will spread out the load a bit when I tighten it up. If that doesn't work, I'll give the CPVC spacer a shot.

Thanks!

Yet another... Xtreme Mash Tun cooler build

You really don't need to spend the $$$ on the bulkhead fitting ( ; I've been using the system I put together in this thread with zero problems.

Thanks for the link. Looks like you have a pretty nice setup. Does the vinyl tubing you're using have a temperature rating on it? I just purchased high temp silicone tubing and looks a little different.

meant to post this the other day, my bulkhead fitting

1/2" 2-inch nipple, with 2 304 nuts and 2 gaskets. red rectangle is where the bulkhead is. ball valve with barbed fitting goes on top

the one white gasket atop the bottom nut is the original from my cooler. DO NOT THROW THAT PART AWAY!

the bottom pic is the adapter I got to connect the stainless bulkhead assembly to the CPVC manifold

think I actually assembled that backwards on the nipple... I don't worry about plumbers tape inside the mash tun

mash tun conversion.jpg

Thanks for the link. Looks like you have a pretty nice setup. Does the vinyl tubing you're using have a temperature rating on it? I just purchased high temp silicone tubing and looks a little different.

Honestly... I don't know. Just bought the stuff that says it is lead free on the package.

I always thought if your using a cooler ( which I am). Your not to worried about a couple of drip of beer spilling. If you really are maybe you should focus on doing a all stainless Steel system. Just my thoughts. Dosnt mean I'm right. I just hate paying for something and then spend even more money on a upgrade.

I've found that just hand tightening everything prevents leaks. I had originally cranked it down a bit with a wrench and it would leak. Definitely don't crush the O-rings I've never had any leaks since.

Back