Saison for this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legume

Reaction score
Mash:
Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase) 2.00 Tbsp
Millet (toasted, 350F for 40 min) 7.00 lb
Buckwheat (coarse milled) 2.50 lb
Tapioca Starch 1.00 lb
Biscuit Rice malt (Eckert) 2.00 lb

Mash at 175 F for 2 hours.

Lower temp to 140 F (with ice)
Add...
SEBamyl L (endo amylase for high maltose syrups) 15.00 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 3.00 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 3.00 ml

Mash at 140 F for 1 hour.

Boil:
Sterling Hops ( 8%AA) 0.80 oz 60 min
Whirlfloc Tab 1.00 10 min
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 0.50 Tbsp 10 min
Sterling Hops 1.20 oz 5 min
Honey 1.00 lb 0 min

Yeast: Belle Saison

I will add 1 oz of oak cubes with the beer when I keg it, and will try to stay out of it for a few months (Belle Saison beers improve with age).

This is a slight revision of a great Saison I made last year.
Here are the numbers I am trying to hit...

OG 1.058
FG 1.010
ABV 6.2
IBU 30

Why are you mashing so high at 175 degrees? Anything over 170 will kill/stop enzymatic activity for converting your starches. if you are doing a single infusion I would mash at 148 nice and dry finish. I love the belle saison yeast it ferments well all the way up to 90 degreesF (I have heard from others that it still ferments at 100) and have always gotten my saisons to finish under 1.005.

Rwing7486,

My grain bill is largely made up of non malted grains (this post is in the gluten free forum, we do all kinds of crazy things to make GF beer), the small amount of rice malt I use is a biscut roast...so there is absoloutly no enzymatic activity from my malt. All amylase for my conversion is added (both amylase additions are listed in the recipe).
Termamyl that is added during the high temperature mash is stable up to near boiling temperatures...it does not denature at 175 F.

The reason for the high temperature mash, is that many of these gluten free grains contain starch with a gelatinization temperature that is much higher than that of barley.

If I were to mash this grain bill at 148 F as you suggest, I would end up with a warm pile of unconverted starch/grain, and a cloudy (starchy) wort with a gravity of less than 1.020.

What is the reason for adding endo/alpha amylase twice?

Where does one find these enzymes in homebrewer quanities?

The Termamyl is used for liquification and dramatically improves efficiency, but used alone results in a poorly fermentable wort.

The Sebamyl L is much more agressive, and results in a sugar/carbohydrate profile that is quite similar to that of typical barley based worts.
Termamyl is available from several online retailers (anapolis homebrew is where I usually get it).

The SEB enzymes are not available on a homebrew scale that I know of...I origionally got them as samples from the manufacturer...since then I have bought them from a friend who has a brewery.
The bulk pricing is quite reasonable, If a couple of people were to go in on the Sebamyl it would be managable.

Brew day went smoothly.
Efficency was higher than usual.
OG=1.062

I got into a keg of a very similar (but lower ABV) saison today...I am really happy with it.
This basic recipe will be the basis for future batches.

Mash:
Termamyl (thermo stable a amylase) 2.00 Tbsp
Millet (toasted, 350F for 40 min) 7.00 lb
Buckwheat (coarse milled) 2.50 lb
Tapioca Starch 1.00 lb
Biscuit Rice malt (Eckert) 2.00 lb

Mash at 175 F for 2 hours.

Lower temp to 140 F (with ice)
Add...
SEBamyl L (endo amylase for high maltose syrups) 15.00 ml
ViscoSEB L (cell wall carbohydrase blend) 3.00 ml
SEBpro PL (protease) 3.00 ml

Mash at 140 F for 1 hour.

Boil:
Sterling Hops ( 8%AA) 0.80 oz 60 min
Whirlfloc Tab 1.00 10 min
Fermax Yeast Nutrient 0.50 Tbsp 10 min
Sterling Hops 1.20 oz 5 min
Honey 1.00 lb 0 min

Yeast: Belle Saison

I will add 1 oz of oak cubes with the beer when I keg it, and will try to stay out of it for a few months (Belle Saison beers improve with age).

This is a slight revision of a great Saison I made last year.
Here are the numbers I am trying to hit...

OG 1.058
FG 1.010
ABV 6.2
IBU 30

Is the Tapioca Starch used to increase body and as a possible sub for maltodextrin?

Tapioca starch is just an adjunct to boost the gravity, I could have just as well used more millet or some flaked rice or corn.There is nothing special about tapioca starch, I used it because it is cheap and I already had it.

it would not make a good substatute for maltodextrine.

Back