New brewer , 2.5 Gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded-one

Reaction score
Seeing as the space in my apartment and the fact that il be using an electric coil stove top to make this . I'm thinking 2.5 gallons my apartment gets real warm in the late spring early summer ( when I'm planning to start ) id say low of high high 70s to mid 80s during the day . I was thinking maybe a saison or Belgian in this enviroment . I hate to ask directly but can someone reccomend a recipe and possibly show me it scaled down with instructions or reccomend a beer recipe that would ferment well at this tempature . Again if it could be scaled down to 2.5 that would be great so I can work on getting something going and figure out the whys and how's as I go along . Thanks in advance

What type of brewing are you hoping to do? Extract, All Grain BIAB, or All Grain 3 vessel?

Do you have space for a rubbermaid tub that you could fill with water and some ice packs to make a swamp cooler?

Preferably all grain , I could manage the tub but I work 12 hour days so it would be hard to change the ice or ice packs out

Former 2.5 gallon stove top apartment brewer, now a 5 gallon propane burner apartment brewer. I miss brewing inside on my stove but I don't miss getting 24 beers from an entire all grain brew day :)

If you like Belgian style beers go for it. For a lot of Belgian yeast strains ambient temperatures in the mid to high 70s is fine, I would find a cool dark spot in your apartment and ferment there.

You could do a simple Saison using Pilsner or any base malt (4-5 lbs), flaked wheat (~1 lb), some table sugar (~1/2 lb) added late in the boil, any hop, and some saison style yeast. I would mash in at 149F for an hour and sparge until you reach appropriate volumes for a 2.5 gallon batch. Boil 60 (or 90 minutes if you use Pilsner), FWH w/ ~30 IBU, add 1-2 oz of hops at flameout depending on how hop forward you want your saison.

Ferment with any saison style yeast, there are several dry and liquid options that work well for the style.

:mug:

Welcome to the stovetop club! Scaling recipes is pretty easy with a program like BrewTarget or Beersmith, but it's easy to do the math with a calculator too. You just have to be able to accurately weigh out smaller weights to maintain the ratios of ingredients.

Saisons and Began beers are pretty simple in regards to their malt bills. The real magic is in the fermentation. A simple recipe like 90% Pilsner and 10% adjunct (oats, wheat, rye, etc) can turn out a great Saison. I like to add hops in whirlpool instead of during the boil. Pick your preferred Saisons strain, I like Wyeast 3711. Boom, tasty Saisons.

You don't even need software to split a recipe. Just cut everything in half. I've done this many times and never had an issue.

aprichman has a good plan.

Danstar Belle Saison yeast is your friend.

All the Best,
D. White

Back