What does 1 each mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Might be a stupid question but just wanted to know the recipe calls for 1 habnero pepper each.... In boiling and second fermentation. In a 5 gallon recipe that seems kinda small? Can anyone clarify?

probably just the field for the units. As in youd have
pilsner malt : 01 : lb
chocolate malt: 04 : oz
cascade hops: 02: oz
whirlfloc tablet : 01 : ea
habanero : 01 : ea

one whole pepper

I take that to mean 1 pepper in the boil and then another pepper after fermentation, like when you would dry hop. That sounds like plenty of habanero to me, never underestimate the power of a habanero. Taste it after each addition and you can always add more if you want, but you can't take it out if you add too much.

And just a word of caution: if you're cutting up the pepper (and you should to get the flavor and heat out of it), wear disposable rubber gloves while handling the pepper.

Sounds like one pepper in boil and one in secondary. Being a habanero that's sounds good to me but I wouldn't leave out the seeds and capsaicin if you want it a little hotter.

Hahah ok cool thanks, a brewey by me makes a beer with Carolina reaper peppers called the gringo that leaves a really nice burning sensation in the back of your throat trying to recreate that, I like it hot!

Back