what rum to soak in cubes? belgian strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesooohoppy

Reaction score
I brewed this recipe this last sunday:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/09/rumble-barrel-belgian-strong-dark-recipe.html?m=1
(I got a 1.071 og, my first big beer.)

I'd like to get my rum bought and soaked in the cubes this weekend (not too early is it?).* I don't drink rum and don't know anyone who does, so I need some help. I am open to suggestions, I'd like to stay with rum as it seems like like certain rums would pair well with the candi syrup added at flameout. What I used came in bags. I believe it was d-80 and d-100, approx .80 lb each as I couldn't get all of it all out and I needed to start cooling the wort.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I believe the oak cubes are medium toast American (all the LHBS has/had).

If you also have any suggestions for how many cubes to use would be excellent as well, as I was going to wing it. I would like the rum/oak to be at the mild to moderate level; something to complement the brew and not be overpowering.

edit: FWIW, this is a 5.5 gallon batch.

Here is the candi syrup used:
DC-SY-DRK1-1.jpg

I used a pack of the 80 srm and 180 srm (from what I could tell on their site.). Yeast used is 2 packs of wlp530 decanted from a 2L starter.

Hopefully the pic works, I am on my phone. Thanks in advance for any help.

I recently used "Myer's Jamaican Rum" in a dubbel. I chose that because it's a nice dark carmely rum that seems to go well with the dark fruit flavors going on in the dark belgians. I'd stay away from bacardi or any spiced rum.

I recently used "Myer's Jamaican Rum" in a dubbel. I chose that because it's a nice dark carmely rum that seems to go well with the dark fruit flavors going on in the dark belgians. I'd stay away from bacardi or any spiced rum.

Thank you. I will definitely look into that.

Bacardi is a big no for me. Why no spiced rum though? The artificial flavorings?

Which rum to use?

That's easy: One that you like.

I'm a big fan of Myers, but a spiced rum might be great for a Belgian beer.

Dutch Harbor Breeze is a new favorite of mine. I like dark dark rum. Almost molasses charred oak, it is delicious.

Either Goslings Black Seal rum or Myers. I think the dark caramel goodness of either of those would be a good choice.

One spiced rum that I really enjoyed simply for its own merits was Sailor Jerry's. It was dark, too, but had a vanilla character as well that might really go well with the oak.

Having said that, Myer's would probably still be my first choice; if I want spices, I can always add them to the boil.

One spiced rum that I really enjoyed simply for its own merits was Sailor Jerry's. It was dark, too, but had a vanilla character as well that might really go well with the oak.

Having said that, Myer's would probably still be my first choice; if I want spices, I can always add them to the boil.

That is 1 of my favorite rums! CHEAP and STOOOOPID YUMMY in a cocktail. Not a sipping rum at all but a great mixing rum for sure. Probably would go great in what you are making.

Cheers
Jay

I have a couple of projects coming up I've been thinking about using rum soaked cubes for. It sounds like we're all on the same page. I prefer the darker rums. They have characters that I think will mix well into some belgian and english ales. Those caramel, molasses, vanilla, and light spicy flavors will mix well. I'd go Myers over Gosling personally. I don't like Gosling straight, but darn does it make a tasty cocktail.

I've personally been thinking about trying Zaya. Pretty reasonably priced, good complex flavors, and I can sip on the rest. I've never tried rum soaked cubes before, and it feels more natural to start with something a little more restrained and that I enjoy straight.

If you are not looking to add any flavor and are just looking for the sanitizing properties, use the cheapest can find..

If you want to add flavor use the strongest flavored rum that you might like. Not much of that flavor will actually transfer to the beer though, just enough to change the beers flavor profile. In other words - just a very subtle change compared to a beer with a neutral sanitization of the wood.

Thank you. I will definitely look into that.

Bacardi is a big no for me. Why no spiced rum though? The artificial flavorings?

I say no spiced rum for a couple reasons. I really don't like spiced rum (heartburn every time), and, the spices might add too much and overpower the base beer and rum and oak. Maybe for a spiced ale (winter warmer or Christmas beer) it could work, but in that situation, I'd rather add the spices to control them.

Thanks everyone. It looks like what I am after is the dark stuff. I will also look into the Jamaican stuff!

Back