Chunky yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

officeboy

Reaction score
I just moved my first saison (Belle Saison) to secondary/cold storage, and while cleaning out the bucket/harvesting yeast I found that the trub was much different then I have seen before. It was like chunks of cottage cheese sitting around in lumps on the bottom, not like the usual surface of the moon smooth with bubbles that I usually see.

Also my gravity sample tasted great last friday at 1.007, but my next sample on monday at 1.003 was kind of off. It could be the dryness, but does this sound like an infection to anyone?

Last edited:
like this? I've had English ale yeasts look like this. beers turned out fine

050920101047.jpg

Their not chunky, just big boned.....

But yeah seriously some yeast get clumpy like that. I don't think an infection would cause the clumps like that.

I should have taken a picture, but no, it was more like actual white cheese curds floating just above the trub. It looked ok till I tilted the bucket to get the last of the beer out. Time will tell.. Just need to sit back and have a beer.

I just bottled a cream ale that had the same issue. First BIAB, I had some mishaps when sparging (dropped the bag in the pot twice, made a huge mess). Hit my OG, let it sit for 2 weeks, when I went to bottle I had the same clumps hanging/floating above the trub. I even cold crashed for 2 days and they would not drop. Sample tasted super light with some good mouthfeel, we'll see what happens.

Back