Staggered wort additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spagnot

Reaction score
I know beer wort compared to mead must has lots of nutrients to facilitate good yeast health for fermentation. Has anyone though tried adding new wort the next day after fermentation starts? I wonder if this would help at all with taste of the beer. I would say just 10% of the main wort to stagger.

Not wort, but I will sometimes add simple sugars to the beer after fermentation has started. This helps the yeast out by letting them get started in a lower OG environment and not get stressed out

When I make my graf, I start the wort fermenting the day before adding the fresh cider. I started doing that a couple years ago when the cider had sorbate in it and I wanted to build up huge yeast numbers to overwhelm it. Not exactly what you're asking, but close.
Also, I have read posts where people who have not had the time or inclination to make a big enough starter, have instead started a lower gravity part-volume beer to build up yeast and added the remainder of the wort the following day. Kind of like doing a starter and adding wort later. My objection would be in the storage of the wort prior to adding it to the main batch. You'd have to be darn sure you keep that as close to sterile as possible.

Back