Irish Stout Erin Go Bragh (Irish Stout, Multiple Medals)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
As needed
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
40 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @62-64F
Tasting Notes
Sharp roast, bitter, grainy and bready malt background, very slight floral hop, clean
This beer's won a number of medals in the last few months. I'd keep it going, but I'm out of it. 3rd rendition of the recipe, and I think I've settled on the keeper.

Gold, 2016 DC Homebrewer's Cherry Blossom (out of 9 entries)
Gold, 2016 BURP Spirit of Free Beer (out of 32 entries)
Bronze, 2016 SVHG Hop Blossom (out of 11 entries)
Silver, 2016 FOAM Battle of the Bubbles (out of 10 entries)

Use the English malts. Seriously. It makes the character of this beer. It's not as good with American malts.

5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 60.6 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 7 24.2 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (Muntons) (515.0 SRM) Grain 8 15.2 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 41.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Measured Original Gravity: 11.2 Plato (1.045)
Measured Final Gravity: 2.7 Plato (1.011)
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %
Bitterness: 41.1 IBUs
Est Color: 39.9 SRM

Single infusion mash, 1.7 qts/lb water to grist ratio, 150F.

Water adjusted to the following:

Ca 83
Mg 9
Na 19
SO4 79
Cl 82
HCO3 112

Should net a pH of ~5.50 at room temp without needing acid (5.49 measured). Adjust to ~5.5 w/ acid or baking soda if more than 0.05 off from that. Acidify sparge water to pH 5.6.

I bottle carb it to 2 volumes. But keg (especially nitro) would work too.

Just in case since it doesn't come across on the app, ferment at 62-64F (pitch at 62, start cool and let it slowly rise up). And I also pitch a relatively high cell count for this, slightly more than Mr. Malty suggests. Maybe 0.9 mil cells/mil/°P instead of 0.75. But I also usually repitch. I guess just bump the starter size accordingly.

Wow I did a very similar dry stout a couple months ago. I used 1lb 8oz Roasted Barley, and I felt it was a little much early on, but after a week or two in the keg it mellowed nicely, however I was planning on doing it again and going down 4oz, so your 1lb 4oz seems spot on :D

I also used 2oz Fuggles for bittering and threw in some left over EKG near the end of the boil, only about 0.5oz, so I don't know if it added a whole lot, it was pretty subtle. With Fuggles and EKG I only hit about 35 IBU's apparently. And also used S-04.

I'll be brewing this soon, so I think I'll make a few modifications with this recipe as a guideline :mug:

Aging beer is a bit overblown IMO. Unless it's a high gravity beer that needs to cool the bite. Hops are better fresh. Flavors are better fresh. Fresh beer is good beer if done right .

Good recipe here. Doing a similar one this weekend. Fuggles and less roasted, but ratios are about the same

Just in case since it doesn't come across on the app, ferment at 62-64F (pitch at 62, start cool and let it slowly rise up). And I also pitch a relatively high cell count for this, slightly more than Mr. Malty suggests. Maybe 0.9 mil cells/mil/°P instead of 0.75. But I also usually repitch. I guess just bump the starter size accordingly.
When you say slowly rise up, you mean slowly rise from 62-64F? So 64F is the max temperature? Is this high enough to clean up diacetyl? Thanks!

Back