First AG a reasonable success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmill

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone here for sharing your extensive knowledge. I benefited many, many times from posts here new and old. :mug:

Today I completed my first AG brew after making 4 partial mash kits. (Nothing wrong with the kits....just wanted to get more into recipe customization. Enjoying my first kit brew now, a crisp kolsch.) It was a Bavarian Hefeweizen, and I was saved from a stuck sparge by a recommendation here to use rice hulls.

Overall, it went as well as could be expected. Mash temp was a little low, resulting in an lower OG than advertised, but we'll see how it turns out. Seems no matter how many posts I read about new brewers' experience with low temps, I make the same mistakes. I guess it is all in learning your equipment.

Next step is to go bulk and maybe try a couple SMASH brews. Already got a freezer full of hops and some yeast, so time to pick up some grain. Got the mill on order since it was on sale. SWMBO is already asking how much beer we have to drink before it pays for itself...

WLP300 going crazy (move away from electronics)
20160519_194349_zpsj1trrx6o.jpg

Bavarian Hefe starting strong
20160521_182310_zpscuaieqnq.jpg

70 Shilling finishing off
20160521_182215_zpsgi8frvjz.jpg

Belgian Wit with blood orange puree
20160521_182322_zpsbofcndus.jpg

Congratulations. :rockin: Now get started on the next one.

I hope you have the hops in your freezer but NOT the yeast. If so you have probably killed it all. Unless you have taken the proper steps for freezing yeast.

I hope you have the hops in your freezer but NOT the yeast. If so you have probably killed it all. Unless you have taken the proper steps for freezing yeast.

I actually used an article on here for the yeast freezing method. 25% glycerin/RO water + yeast, in tubes, kept in isopropyl alcohol for a day in the freezer, then into a cooler with ice packs.

Transferring them to the in-laws chest freezer today. Trading fridge and freezer space for the 70 shilling I brewed for my father in law.

I actually used an article on here for the yeast freezing method. 25% glycerin/RO water + yeast, in tubes, kept in isopropyl alcohol for a day in the freezer, then into a cooler with ice packs.

Transferring them to the in-laws chest freezer today. Trading fridge and freezer space for the 70 shilling I brewed for my father in law.

I like it. :rockin:

I followed a thread on this site also to do the same. I started making 4 vials whenever I bought a new liquid yeast. I have at least 15 varieties stored. I have reused yeast that I have kept frozen for over 2 years successfully.

jmill- congratulations. I sense you have the fever, the obsession........ :mug:

I tried to plan for it....started with a kit that was easily upgradable to AG, went straight to kegging instead of bottling, etc. Doesn't seem to have helped. Already planned a brew stand and looking at pumps.

Update: Just finished off the keg of my first brew, the kolsch extract recipe kit from AHS.

Enjoying the last glass now. It mellowed out over time, turning out to be a fairly smooth beer. It did end up with some buttery flavors, which got better over time but never really went away. I blame this on the lack of fermentation temp control. Still managed to drink the entire keg, so couldn't have been too bad. :mug:

Had some issues with my second and third brews, and ended up tossing one and bottling the other. The second, a blonde, was sour...I attribute this to oxidation. The third, a Belgian wit with blood orange, was way too bitter. I really think this was due to the recipe, since it was just really heavy on the blood orange without any balancing sweetness.

The first AG brew mentioned in the original post, the Bavarian Hefeweizen, has turned out fantastic. Just tapped it and glad I can transition from an empty Kolsch keg to the Hefe. Good blend of banana and clove flavors, light and crisp, and overall a good summer beer. Glad I got the fermenting temps under control!

Latest posts

Back