Strawberry wine sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leave it alone and let it clear. once clear you can backsweeten after you stabilize the wine...but the most important ingredient added last is time...it is going to get better if you give enough time. Time is also the hard part...we want to drink it now!

Generally I find that knowing what different fruits taste like when fermented dry is something that only comes w experience, as its often not how you would expect. Raspberries are WAAAY sour, while strawberries are less so. Could also be some yeast still in suspension thats contributing to flavor if it isnt clear yet.

Give it time, once its clear and you start backsweetening it to taste, you'll be amazed how much flavor and fruity sweetness and flavor pops back into the wine, like adding salt to food.

My wine looks great, starting to clear. Took a taste- SOUR!! Any suggestions?
I have had great success smoothing the acidic bite from my blueberry and strawberry wines using egg shells as a clarifer. Just boil the eggs, peel the shells, sanitize, and drop them in your carboy. I used 1 shell per 1 gallon carboy. Rack wine off the shells in roughly 1 week.

In addition, time is your friend when it comes to clearing a wine and developing its flavors.

Cheers!

Back