Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Fantome Saison

Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Brewlicious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fantome Saison

So here is my problem. I brewed a Saison according to the Beer Captured recipe. The deal is that the recipe calls for a secondary fermentation in which you add 2 quarts of your favorite juice. The last time I brewed this I added peach and apricot which turned out to be a freaken horrible idea. The beer had a nice smell but the taste was ok and it had a syrup texture. Any recommendations on what juice to add if any. I only have four gallons and would like five so the other question I have is, if I donít add the juice, can I add enough water with the priming sugar to bring the beer up to five gallons before bottling?

Thanks in advance for the help

Old 03-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Personally, I would not add juice to beer. I would also not add water...it will water it down. Just bottle the 4g batch. If you want a fruit beer, add some fruit extract next time at bottling.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor
Thorpe429 Likes This 
Old 03-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I have made that same batch a few times. I have added a raspberry/strawberry blend of juice and it turned out great. Add it to the secondary and let it ferment a bit more before packaging. I wouldn't add water/priming sugar to bring the batch up to 5 gallons. Add about 2-3 of the containers (the kind that makes 2 quarts, after adding water) to your batch and package after about 1 week or so.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Raspberry.

I'm not adding juice to mine, but I'm adding real fruit to the secondary.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 03-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
Personally, I would not add juice to beer. I would also not add water...it will water it down. Just bottle the 4g batch. If you want a fruit beer, add some fruit extract next time at bottling.
The deal is Fantome's Saison uses fruit or fruit juice(and most likely two or more different ones). I am pretty confident this statement is accurate. The fruit/juice they use is secret. I've heard stawberry and apricot are good, but they don't use a lot. My .02.

Edit> Also, to the OP, the juice should not have attributed to the 'syrup' texture. How and why do you think it was the juice? Assuming it was some kind of preservative free pastuerized juice(or not), it should have been very fermentable and left the beer drier, correct?

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
ocluke
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
I have made that same batch a few times. I have added a raspberry/strawberry blend of juice and it turned out great. Add it to the secondary and let it ferment a bit more before packaging. I wouldn't add water/priming sugar to bring the batch up to 5 gallons. Add about 2-3 of the containers (the kind that makes 2 quarts, after adding water) to your batch and package after about 1 week or so.
I want to attempt this recipe as well. You mention adding 2-3 "containers." Can you explain what you mean by that? Are you saying fruit juice concentrate containers? Do you not recommend reconstituting the juice before adding? I would like to find a way to make the beer as closely the the exact specifications of the original beer.

Thanks in advance for any help you (or anyone who has successfully accomplished this clone) can provide.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
ocluke
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

[crickets] .... has anyone successfully cloned this beer?

With reference to the fruit/no fruit discussion, I have a friend that recently got back from a visit to the brewery. Dany Prignon (the brewer) confirmed that no fruit is added to Fantome Saison, despite the overt strawberry characteristic to the beer.