Way to much foam during fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codafisler

Reaction score
I have a home kit going. Coopers real ale. I came home today to find my fermentation bucket and breather full of foam. I have no idea why this happened. I cannot put another breather on as it will fill with foam. Any help helps

Yeast eat sugar and poop out CO2, that makes a ton of bubbles which foam up on you, its called krausen. Some beers have more, some less. It is very common to have happen what you describe, especially in homebrewing where what people ferment in rarely have enough headspace. I believe industry standard is around 25% headspace to allow for the krausen. Also, in homebrewing, many folks do not have temp control, as the yeast get going they create their own heat, an exothermic reaction, that causes them to get even more energetic resulting more CO2 creation and more bubbles in a shorter time frame, meaning the bubbles have less time to dissipate and so the krausen can rise higher. Temp control puts a certain amount of check on that.

Hopefully my rambling explanation makes sense as to explain what is going on. The good news is that you don't need a fancy glycol system or a larger fermenter to tackle the blow off. Instead of using an airlock, jam a piece of vinyl hose into the airlock bung and put the exit end into a glass of water. Just like an airlock this creates a one way valve. But, it gives you a lot more capacity for the krausen to escape, decreasing the risk of blockages, which can create a major mess as pressure builds and something blows.

I have a home kit going. Coopers real ale. I came home today to find my fermentation bucket and breather full of foam. I have no idea why this happened. I cannot put another breather on as it will fill with foam. Any help helps

at this point the best thing to do is rig a blow off tube.
there are lots of videos... here is one:

In the future more headspace in the fermenter and probably fermenting a a cooler more controlled temperature is advisable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few ways to deal with this perfectly normal occurrence. Smaller batch size, larger fermenter, blow off system or use Fermcap S.

A word of warning: An overly-vigorous fermentation can often be a sign that you're fermenting too warm. What temperature is your beer (the beer - not the room) at?

A word of warning: An overly-vigorous fermentation can often be a sign that you're fermenting too warm. What temperature is your beer (the beer - not the room) at?

This x2.

Once you get the basics down start finding ways to control your temp, and if done correctly, you will notice better results on your beers. Cheers! :mug:

I always use a food grade silicone additive that prevents not only a blow over but boil over as well (Think Fermcap S). The stuff works wonders and in over a year of brewing and almost a dozen batches, never had a boil over or blow over... And it doesn't affect the flavor of your beer either...

When I did my first dark beer brewed with WLP 300, the brew shop told me to use a blow off, saying the fermentation of that yeast in wort would be "vigorous". That was an understatement. My carboy was pushing yeast out the tube for a good 3-4 days at 61F before slowing down. I have 5gal. and 3gal. clear glass carboys and use the 6gal. plastic primary from my kit as a sanitation bucket. I like to see a surprise before it happens.

First I want to thank everyone for their fast responses and taking an easy on the new guy.
As of 5pm in WA. The fermenting beer is at 75'. I know this is on the warm side. How can I get my next batch to be cooler. I live in an apartment. Keg fridge is out of the picture at this point. I did get the foam under control by doing what was suggested above. Foam has stopped for the time being. I'm very handy and if I have to build something I can do it. I just need ideas. I'd like to brew another batch as soon as this one is finished.

Back